Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Big Picture

Forgot to mention that I had fixed the vertical blinds yesterday. One thing about the vertical blinds is that they have to be in the open position before the blinds are drawn. Mom keeps forgetting that, so things get kapakahi. I just needed to straighten out the slats and it works again! Wish all the fixes were that easy. A less easy fix is the piece with the broken top, I will need to jury-rig that one.

Yesterday when I arrived I found out both Shiro and Momo had lost their collars. Since the tags for the feeders are attached to the collars it could be a problem. For Momo the Wireless Whiskers is open as long as it does not receive a signal to close so he has been eating. For Shiro the WonderBowl was left in the open position when I left since his new IR tag had not arrived, so he could still eat; but the bowl was missing. I was able to find Momo's collar in the house but not Shiro's. Since The Boys are notorious for losing collars, I will be ordering extra tags for both so the next time this happens there will be no down time. I am also buying extra collars.

Dad was asleep when we arrived yesterday. He did not get up until about 7 pm. This was a lot longer than he had been sleeping during my previous visit. In January he would take naps after breakfast and lunch. He would be up by about 4 pm and stay up until about 9 pm. We'll have to keep an eye on this.

Today he got up a little late for breakfast. He took a nap after Aunty Florence and I left; I went shopping at Don Quijote, while she met with her friend Nancy outside in the lanai food "court" area. I picked up bento for lunch and we all headed back home, Nancy came with us. Dad would not get up for lunch, so we ate without him. He did get up for dinner at the regular time and stayed up for his usual amount of time after dinner.

Mom keeps thinking that she is out of paper towels; I found 13 rolls. And she has about 40 rolls of toilet paper. I keep reminding her. If training helps your brain to remember things I should do really well since I am having to remember for the both of us!

I read somewhere that we can only remember so much, after you reach the maximum point your brain sort of starts to overwrite other data. That's when I started using the DayTimer system about 25 years ago to keep track of appointments and contact information. Prior to that I kept it in my head. Now I also use a dry erase board for a bigger picture. The red items are the really important ones, like Mom's geriatric assessment appointment and the flight back. The blue items are also important, like my uncle's service and inurnment and the 442nd reunion. The green items are the nice-if-I-can-fit-it-in items. I have already missed the one on the 29th, but it was ambitious to think I could go to the dialogue with the curator of the CONTACT 2016 show on the evening that I arrived. My cousin Tomiko has a few pieces in the show; they are from her Passage show that is about the house in Kohala. We are planning on seeing it while we are here. The yellow stickies on the bottom are for  future months.


Besides going to CONTACT 2016, we will also be trying to see Doreen again and cousin Erica and her family.

Mom had some vegetables she was given last week at mahjong. So I made Crispy Glazed Tofu with Bok Choy tonight with them, sort of. She was given choy sum not bok choy, which is what I thought it was when I quickly glanced in the bag yesterday while I was cleaning self-destructing food out of the refrigerator. But the tofu is good with choy sum also, I think any mustard type green would go well with the tofu. I also substituted mirin for the shao hsing rice wine. Sorry, no photos, it looked almost like the photo in the linked recipe!

Happy Birthday to Bob, Marisa, and Delaney!

No comments:

Post a Comment