Friday, April 29, 2016

Back to 8

The attempt to reduce the ibuprofen from 600 mg every 6 hours to every 8 hours didn't work. I think it is because I prefer to sleep on my left side and the swelling is quite pronounced so the pillow presses against it. I was awakened this morning by lots of dull throbbing pain about 7 hours after the last dose so I am going back to 600 mg every 6 hours. New plan: After the visible swelling goes down I will reduce it to every 8 hours. I guess that's why Dr. Gold gave me 35 pills.

For dinner yesterday I had the portobello soup. It looked somewhat gray and unappetizing but tasted great, the teaspoon of butter I added to increase my caloric intake didn't hurt it. I supplemented the soup with a slice of Dave's Killer Bread White Bread Done Right. While it was less substantive than the other Dave's Killer Breads, it was still a lot better than the standard white bread found in regular supermarkets. I dipped the bread in the soup, then chewed it on the right side, mixing well with saliva. Then I held it in my mouth while the amylase worked on breaking down the starches in the bread. How did I know the amylase was doing its job? The bread becomes very liquid as the starches are broken down so I don't need to chew! (It takes 10-15 seconds to feel this happening.)

Soup du jour was organic French onion with chunk of butter and a slice of bread.


Since I am lactose-intolerant, I use faux milk products made from plant sources. I try to vary them since they all seem to have some good quality and some not-as-good quality. I randomly choose what to buy based on what's on sale. This week it was unsweetened flax milk. The good thing about unsweetened flax milk is 1200 mg omega-3 fats per 1 cup serving, the not-as-good thing is it has just a little more taste than a glass of water. Ten drops of stevia extract helped sweeten it up, the chocolate raspberry flavor of the extract helped improve the taste immensely!










To aid in eating the bread, I cut it into quarters so I keep all crumbs away from the left side of my mouth. Even something soft like white bread getting stuck in the areas that have been cut open would not be good. (Unlike other white breads, Dave's Killer Bread's white bread has wheat berries in it.) All total, I am getting about 160 calories from this meal, which the app on my phone says is 13% of what I should be getting for the day. Now I just have to eat this meal 7 more times today!












I'm glad I'm having 2 quadrants done before I have to take care of Mom and Dad. I can figure out all the logistics and know how I will be reacting so I can still manage to take care of them. And I will only have to do it 2 times when I am with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment