Thursday, June 16, 2016

Moving Day!

This was supposed to post on Tuesday, but I was apparently so tired I clicked the wrong button So here it is.

Well, actually Stuff Moving Day! The movers came today (Tuesday) to help move my stuff, my body will physically be moving tomorrow (Wednesday).

It was very hectic today! I am glad that Margaret and Bo were able to be here to help us get things done. When I was leading the movers (Osnid, aka Osie, and his wife Jessie) to the storage unit the car in front of me decided to come to a full stop while it was turning in to a parking lot as we were going downhill on Pacific Avenue. As I hit the brakes, I kept thinking, "Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop!" because I did not need any more delays in the move. Fortunately, the Subaru has good brakes and it was dry and sunny!

To be clear not all my stuff is moving. A lot of the resources I used for work do not apply, the same as a lot of the resources I used for my social justice activism does not apply. Ditto for the clothes. In fact, I even gave away a can of Camp Dry since I really won't be needing that either! (For non-hikers, Camp Dry is what you spray on your boots to make them waterproof. My feet are waterproof so I don't need to spray them.)

I have a lot more stuff than I thought I had. I should have started the brutal purging and packing that we have been doing for the last week as soon as I decided to move back to help out Mom and Dad. As it is there will be a lot more that I am leaving behind than I had originally intended. This is good practice for me to let go of material things! My mantra has been, "No attachments." With some things I do better than with other things.

Osie and Jessie were great to work with! They did not get upset about any of our requests or the fact that we were packing ahead of them and getting in their way. Which slowed down the process, they left the house at 9 pm. Here's what the kitchen looked like when we were done.


The computer gear in the kitchen is because Kai and I were getting ready to put things in to storage for him while he couch surfs. (If you are in need of someone to house-sit/pet-sit for you, please give him a call.) Most of the boxes in the photo are empty. The blue bin in the left front is stuff to be donated.

Besides stuff moving, we also were donating the Volvo so that KSER can get some benefit from it. When Dan showed up, we did not have the right paperwork, so I had to run to Licensing at the county building. I texted Stephanie that I would be there since they had been talking about coming to the house around afternoon break time to say Good Bye since the Good Bye party was interrupted. I got to see Stephanie, Mary, Chris, Terri, Misty, Greg, and Paul! Hopefully, we can also get together when I am visiting in July.

Many thanks to Margaret and Bo for helping with packing, to Osie and Jessie for getting everything in the truck and doing it so professionally and with a smile on your faces, to Mary Ellen for bring food and drink when it was much needed, and to Kai for not getting too bent out of shape!

Now on to new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment