Saturday, July 23, 2016

My Turn Today

Well I am finally at the ER for me! Last night my left ear canal was hurting a little when I went to sleep (1 on a 10-point scale). This morning I had a sore throat (3) and my ear was hurting even more (3); my lymph nodes on the left side were also swollen. So rather than wait 9 days like Kai did, I went in this morning.


The diagnosis is "inflammation of throat - primary, middle ear infection with fluid accumulation". And although the ER doctor said most sore throats are caused by viruses, like Kai's ER doc he prescribed an antibiotic for me due to Mom's compromised immune system. (He did not speculate on the cause of the ear infection, which I think should have been listed as 'primary'.) While waiting for the prescription to be filled I had company. This was at one of the tables at the coffee shop which is closed on the weekend. I think these birds are regulars. This zebra dove especially, it's differently-abled; take a close look at its toes, or rather, lack of toes.
Differentl-abled Geopelia striata

In order to minimize chances of Mom becoming infected by whatever is causing my ear infection I am staying in my room as much as possible, when I venture out to other parts of the house I wear the anti-virus mask and sanitize my hands. I also sanitize my phone; its a good thing I have the LifeProof case! So far it has shown no ill effects of being slathered with hand sanitizer. It cost around $80 but I destroyed four $30 Body Glove cases for my last phone so in the end the LifeProof case is more cost effective. (I was also sanitizing it  when Mom was in the emergency room and hospital before we knew what she had.) Now if we can only get Mom to understand that she should not come to my room, or if she does she needs to be wearing her mask!

It is a good thing Mom's friend Fumi-chan is here visiting from Okinawa and that she is staying for several weeks. While I was at the ER this morning she made breakfast for Mom and Dad and kept an eye on them while I was gone. (Unlike last week when Kai was in and out in a short time, I spent over 3 hours there. I was fortunate to be seen almost immediately, but then had to wait for the discharge papers and prescription as they were swamped with patients, I saw at least 7 in the half hour after I was admitted.)

I think the benefits of the transfusion are wearing off. When she came to my room to tell me dinner was ready Mom was breathing hard. Not gasping for breathe like the first day when I took her to the emergency room, but too out of breathe for the short walk down the hall. I guess we will see if my assessment is correct when she has her blood work done on Monday.

By the way, at this time in the evening the ear canal pain is 0 and the throat pain is 1. When I told the ER doc this morning that Kai started feeling better a couple hours after he took the azithromycin he said that antibiotics don't work that fast, they take 2 days to begin working unless the individual has a fast metabolic rate. I think Kai and I must have fast metabolic rates because I think it is the antibiotics that are responsible for my improvement; the only other things I have done are wear an anti-viral mask and sanitize my hands!

Happy Birthday to Bev!

No comments:

Post a Comment