Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Tidying Up Loose Ends

The main reason for my trip is to attend the wedding of my friends Anne and Mary Kay. A secondary reason is to tie up loose ends from my move. Like updating the Subaru registration to include Kai - who was 5 years old when I originally bought the car; updating the car insurance to delete the Volvo we donated for KSER; moving funds from my Washington credit union to my Hawai'i credit union; etc. We did some of that today, more to come tomorrow, and in following days.

I am staying with Bick and Ron; we called Mom tonight just for them to say Hello. It's great that she remembers them and Bick's mom very clearly. However, she does not remember that I have moved back to Hawai'i permanently; she thinks I am up here still trying to sell the house. It was unclear to me when she thinks I am coming back from this trip.

Speaking of the house, Kai and I drove by today and saw a 'For Sale' sign out front but no flyer showing off the improvements. The birch tree that provided great shade for the front of the house has been cut down. (I had even explained to them how having it kept the house much cooler in the summer. The folks who bought the house must not like trees. I wonder if they are the same ones that bought the house at the end of the alleyway on Wall and cut down that really nice Douglas-fir tree just before it was put up for sale?) I don't think they did any of the interior work they said they were going to do and I don't think they could have done all that in less than 6 weeks. To replace only Mom's shower took 6 weeks; and they were talking about remodeling the entire bathroom, not just the shower. They also talked about removing all the carpet and old linoleum and either replacing it or refinishing the floor if they found nice wood underneath; replacing the paneling in all the downstairs rooms; replacing all the old countertops in the kitchen; removing the sheetrock in the upper level and the insulation that had been put in incorrectly and replacing it and refinishing the ceilings; and there was a crack in the foundation that needed to be repaired.

I flew on Delta this time since my original flight was to be with the rest of the crew returning to Washington and they initially flew on Delta. Here's the display you get with Delta in multiple languages. Another 'selling' point for some people is that all the entertainment is free - Kai watched Zootopia twice on the aborted flight to Kona, once on the way out and then again on the way back!


I like the bathroom signs at the Honolulu International Airport - they're very colorful.


















Happy Birthday to Rachel! And Happy 3rd Anniversary to Eleta & Trish!

No comments:

Post a Comment