Friday, July 22, 2016

Tropical Storm Darby

The hurricane season in Hawai'i is from June 1st through November 30th so it is the season. So far there have been 8 storms that started in the eastern Pacific and none in the central Pacific (where Hawai'i is located). Sometimes storms that start in the eastern Pacific make it to the central Pacific, like Tropical Storm Darby, which is about 180 miles east of Hilo (or about 390 miles east of Honolulu). Darby is the first storm of the 2016 season to get close to the islands and as of 5 this evening, the forecast track takes it right over the top of the islands of Hawai'i and Maui, and slightly east of O'ahu. The cone shown below is not the area of potential damage, it is the predicted possible area it could travel in. Obviously, there is still time for the track to change. Sometimes going over Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, and Haleakala greatly affect hurricanes and tropical storms, causing them to lose wind speed. At a minimum Honolulu will have a lots of rain and hot, muggy temperatures. Loading Storm Graphics Loops


Mom's reaction to news about Darby has been interesting. The Big Island will be hit first sometime on Saturday afternoon so there are all kinds of preparations being made, including opening emergency shelters. One of the shelters is the Kohala High School. When she saw that she asked me if we had enough water and food for the storm (because that is what the newscast was recommending for people on the Big Island). She thought we were in Kohala. The storm will hit Honolulu late on Sunday, if anything. And, yes, we have enough food and water; that is the standard condition of Mom's pantry. I have emergency lights (from years of living in rural Washington). The only thing we don't have is my emergency radio, which is packed in a box in transit to Kohala.

I have noticed Mom is a little more confused as to who people are and I am wondering why they took her off the donepizil. I shall have to ask about this. Yesterday she was trying to figure out who was still at the house and said, "Dad, me [meaning herself], and Pologee." ("Pologee" is my father's nickname that was given to him at boot camp because the white drill sergeants had trouble pronouncing our last name so shortened it to "Nobriga" which is a Portuguese name. It is pronounced 'poh-roh-gee'.) The "Dad" she was referring to is her father. I was nowhere in the picture of who was still at the house. After a couple of minutes she corrected herself and figured out who was really here (including me). I will have to ask if she can remain on the donepezil so that she can enjoy visiting with people who come to see her.

Mom's friend Fumi-chan arrived today. She used to live in the back house next door but in early 2014 her Aunty Nancy, whom she was caring for, passed away and she had to return to Okinawa. They have been keeping in touch by phone. The last time Fumi-san called, Mom and Dad were in Las Vegas; I told her to call back on Saturday. While I was sitting in the emergency room with Mom I realized that Fumi-san was to be calling that day, but there was no way I could get a message to her! Fortunately she was persistent and one of the times she called she talked to Curtis, so she knows what's happening with Mom. When she lived next door, she would always bring food over when she cooked for her aunty. Mom has asked her to make a couple of things while she is here and I have asked her to teach me how to make them!

I finally finished doing the last batch of sheets and towels that Aunty Florence and crew were using. Since the weather was nice I hung everything outside. When I was hanging laundry yesterday I felt something on my foot and thought it was a stalk of grass. It turned out to be a brown anole. (Sorry, no photo, phone acting up again.) They showed up again today. It appears that when I walk across the lawn hanging the laundry, I stir up bugs so they have learned to come around when they see the activity. Sort of like cows and cattle egrets. Here is one using the leg of the laundry cart as its hunting perch.
Anolis sangrei

Happy Pi Approximation Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment