Saturday, August 6, 2016

A Filing We Will Go

I started organizing things in Mom's new filing cabinet. I also made a tray for her to put the bills and other financial papers that she wanted filed. For the most part it went well, however, there were a bunch of things Mom put in the "To be filed" tray that really weren't financial papers. I found another tray she has in the computer room (where the filing cabinet is located) that has similar things, so that is where I am "filing" the informational papers (like "don't dial 90# or bad things will happen to your phone!").

I think putting the bills away will help relieve some of the anxiety that she has about things being paid on time. For most of the monthly bills she had them put on auto-pay about 20 years ago but she has forgotten that she did that. And even when I remind her, she does not retain that information. So she stresses out about not being able to pay them because, "Curtis has the checkbook." (He doesn't, I do, and I always tell her that when she says he has it. But that doesn't stick either.) I think if I just grab the mail every day, sort it, note it in the checkbook when necessary, then file it so she never sees it that will reduce her anxiety. Even when I write on the envelope or face of the bill that it has been paid she questions whether it has really been done, because why else would it still be sitting out by her chair? Never mind that she can't remember how or where to file things. The downside is that she believes everyone thinks she is "stupid" because she is getting old, so that is why we are doing things for her; then she gets very angry and says she can do it herself and wants everyone to leave.

One of the things I am also doing is sorting out all of Mom and Dad's Kaiser Permanente discharge instructions. Some of Mom's have a lot of information about her current and past conditions. The discharge papers also list the medications they should be taking so it is a good double-check on what we are putting in her pill pack.

We also restarted her walk in the morning per Dr. Pham's request. Today she was feeling good enough to go a total of about 1 block out and back. Her usual route is about a total of 7 blocks out and back. But I did note that she was not dressed in her usual walking attire - she has forgotten what that is so I will have to find things and get her back to her walking routine. I think I'll keep it at 1/2 a block (one way) for at least a week, unless she decides she can do more after she gets a transfusion.

I helped Fumi-san run a couple of errands today. Then we went shopping at the Times Supermarket near Kahala Mall, that was her Aunty Nancy's preferred market because it was more accessible for her. It also has more variety than the Times in Kaimuki town; I think I shall go there more often when Mom sends me out to get things, it is not much farther than the other Times.

Mom has been drinking a tea made from soursop leaves (Annona muricata). A guy Curt works with is brewing it for her, he says it helps against cancer. She says it tastes great and likes to drink it. I have been finding conflicting information about its efficacy and side effects; Curt will be sending me more info provided to him by his co-worker. Since the literature says it has significant amounts of vitamin C, B1, and B2, even if it has no effect on cancer it is still providing nutrients, though I am not sure if this info is about the fruit or the tea. At the very least it is providing her with additional fluid to help her avoid dehydration which Dr. Pham cautioned is a potential side effect of the diuretic they have her on to reduce fluid retention to help out her heart.

Happy Birthday to Paul, Mary, and Brianna!

No comments:

Post a Comment