Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Cool Stuff!

As part of helping Mom with her finances, I was also trying to find the key for her safe deposit box; I suspected the original Trust documents were in there. After searching various files for several days and coming up empty, I arranged to have the lock drilled out and replaced. We did that today. Since she could not remember what was in the box I decided to make a list. And found some very interesting stuff in there; though the Trust documents were not. Here's one of the more interesting things that was in there; I had heard about these but had never seen them.


They were produced during World War II so that if Hawai'i was invaded by Japanese forces any money captured would not be legal tender. They are now collectors items; I never knew my parents had any. And even though I had helped Mom put things in the safe deposit box before, I had never looked at everything that was in the box. They also have some silver certificate bills, walking Liberty half dollars, and Mercury dimes. I now have one of the safe deposit box keys and am listed as an agent so that I can be present when she is handling the box.

We met with 2 of Mom's financial advisors yesterday. And she is now waffling about closing her accounts so we did not close any accounts yesterday. But I learned a lot from both of the advisers. And we also put the one account that was not in the Trust in to the Trust; in about 15 minutes with a photocopy of the long form, not sure why the credit unions are making it so difficult. These are 2 of her favorite financial advisers, so that may also be why she did not want to close accounts that they administered.

When I took Mom for her blood draw on Monday morning I noticed a red line on the car door as I was helping her out. When I drew my finger across it I streaked it! Turns out Mom had cut herself and was bleeding profusely from the tiny cut, the result of low platelets. She could not remember bumping in to anything. When I checked later I found blood on the armrest so she must have cut it before she got into the car but I could not find where she did that. It took a little bit to stop it; the phlebotomist put gauze on it and wrapped it well.


I made a beef stew with the electric pressure cooker last night. All total it took about 2 hours from start to serving. And the meat was extremely tender, Dad had no problems at all eating it. And Mom liked it, too. And she is no longer afraid that it is going to explode. The result is below. Tonight we compared it with the beef stew that Lori made in the crock pot. The pressure cooker meat was more tender than the crock pot meat, but both had good flavor.


Tomorrow Sarah, David, and Kai arrive to spend a week visiting with Mom. We will have a baby shower for Sarah on Saturday.

Happy Birthday to Terry, Gwen, and Michael! Happy Belated Birthday to Eddie, Sean, Bernie, and Natalie! And Happy Belated Anniversary to Curt and Lori!

No comments:

Post a Comment