Thursday, August 4, 2016

Moving Tetris

I had breakfast at CSC Cafe yesterday. They are open 7 days a week from 6:30 am till about 9 pm and have local food. I know it is also one of Lem's hangouts. They also have wi-fi but my laptop has trouble connecting with it so I go to the North Kohala Public Library instead (you need an HPLS library card in order to log on).


The guys who delivered my household goods yesterday are very good at packing things in to the truck; not so good at keeping things as compact as possible when the stuff comes out of the truck. Also not so good at keeping things right side up (they got about 90% right-side-up). But they worked till they got it done and were pleasant about it; they arrived about 5 pm because a previous job earlier in the week pushed the rest of their jobs back. (It was near South Point, the closest road they could take the moving truck on was about 2 miles from the house. The homeowner transferred things using one pick-up truck so there was a lot of down time for them - in a case like that they only get it out of the truck and in to the homeowner's vehicle.) Judging by the size of the truck, my things were supposed to all fit in the living room; but the bulky furniture pieces had to be put in the front bedroom. The 3 young Portuguese movers (Gabe, Philippi, and Bruce) liked that there was a ramp to the door and the drop point was the room the ramp led to. Bruce moved things out of the truck to the liftgate, Gabe & Philippi moved things in to the house. I gave them a box of smoked salmon as a thank you, then found out Bruce was a vegetarian so I gave him a couple of avocados from the tree in the backyard and he was very happy! I will have to come back after all the house repair work is done to unpack and put things away. (Yes, Bruce really is 1st generation Portuguese like Gabe and Philippi. Not sure if it is his Americanized name or his birth name.)


While I was waiting for the movers to arrive, I saw a mongoose crossing the front lawn. It would stop every so often and dig around in the grass and eat something, hopefully it was cockroaches! It went over to Jessie's house and disappeared under the house.
Small Asian mongoose (Herpestes javanicus)

I had a late afternoon flight out today, so I took Uncle Kazu to lunch and ice cream today. Fig's Mix Plate is our usual place but last Friday was their last day of business. :( So we went to King's View Cafe instead; Uncle Kazu was a trooper and had pizza for lunch. I think he was really there for the Roselani ice cream! He had macadamia nut, I had Kona mud pie.

The flight back was uneventful even with the intermittent rain squalls. It might be the leading edge of post-tropical cyclone Howard, which is about 600 miles east. On the approach to the runway, I saw a submarine coming in to Pearl Harbor.


When I arrived back home, Mom was thinking I am here for a short visit. Other than that she is doing fine; having a wonderful time with Fumi-san here, cooking a lot of her favorite dishes. I think it has been a big benefit to have her here and will be sad to see her leave in a couple of weeks. Here they are talking to Xander after dinner.
Fumi-san, Xander, and Mom

Happy Birthday to Mark, Sego, Hendra, and Jessica!

No comments:

Post a Comment