Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Big 6-0

Today is my brother Curtis' birthday; the Big 6-0! We went to Big City Diner for dinner with his family; there were 10 of us all together. I tried the catch of the day, which was marlin, and also had a li hing lemonade. Here is Curt with his special birthday cake.


Since he is diabetic, Lori made him a special low-carb Sugar-Free Chocolate Angel Cake. Here is Brent sampling the cake, which Curt said tasted like paper; Lori agreed with him on the taste! I also agree. The frosting had sort of a tangy flavor. Which we all wondered whether it was because the cream cheese was left out too long... The consensus decision seemed to be that the letters on top of the cake were the best part!
L to R: Shawn, Brent, Jenny.

On Saturday Mom insisted on washing dishes and promptly sliced open her fingertip on the blender blade. It took about 10 minutes of constant pressure to get it to stop bleeding since her platelet count is so low. Then on Sunday she managed to open it up again and bleed all over. Yesterday it started to hurt and was a little swollen, that was in spite of washing it well and cleaning it with alcohol wipes on Saturday. I called Dr. Chan's office, they got back to me later in the day. He prescribed an antibiotic for her, I picked it up first thing this morning because I thought they closed at 5 yesterday and I would have only had 30 minutes to get there in the infamous Honolulu rush hour traffic. It turns out the pharmacy closes at 7 so I could have made it even with traffic (because its not so bad that it would take me 2 hours to make the trip).

Tonight at dinner Mom was telling Curt I was overreacting. She showed him how her finger was all healed up and no longer swollen. Turns out she was showing him the wrong finger on the wrong hand; no wonder there was no cut on it! (The cut is still there and her fingertip is still slightly swollen.)

When I went to pick up the prescription, Mom asked me to stop and pick up some pastries for breakfast. I stopped at the Nanding's Bakery that opened up about a month ago in the old Akita Store building. It still has the same old funky parking lot. Nanding's specializes in Filipino pastries but also has things like scones, brownies, and cookies. They are open at 5 am so I could run down really early if Mom has a craving for sweets for breakfast. They also have a great view of Mount Leahi! (This is the 14th photo of my 36 Views of Leahi series that I am creating.)
Leahi #14, from Nanding's

I took the original Trust documents in to Hawaii State FCU and Territorial Savings Bank today. They made copies and are starting the paperwork to get those accounts in to the Trust. They will call to set up an appointment when the papers are ready to sign. Dad will have to be present for both of these. After we get this done there will be one last account for Mom that needs to be checked (that we know of).

Happy Birthday to Penny, Corinna, & Curt! Happy Belated Birthday to Redwolf!

No comments:

Post a Comment