Wednesday, September 28, 2016

I Just Don't Get It

We were supposed to go to Haleiwa today to visit Mom's friend Evelyn. We made the arrangements last week and Mom was really excited to be able to see Evelyn again. Since Evelyn no longer drives long distances to places she is unfamiliar with, and Mom has had no driver for the same reason, they had not seen each other for several years. But this morning, when Evelyn called to confirm we were coming, Mom told her she wasn't feeling well so would not be coming. Which was news to me, she was actually fine. Later in the evening Mom ran across the message she had copied down from last week from Evelyn. And she wanted me to contact Evelyn and take her out to see her! I just don't get it. Why is it that she wants to see her friend but then when it is about to happen, she decides she doesn't want to see her? She's done this a couple other times but we have been in the car, when I ask her if she wants to go home she says no, she's already on her way there so she might as well go. And she has a great time!

I started a landscape project today. Actually, I guess I started it a year ago when I started removing the 'ohai ali'i and mickey mouse plants blocking my view when I back out of the driveway. This is just the beginning of the end for the area I am currently working on. I have weeded 95% of it, spread out the weed block material, and bought the red cinders that I will be spreading over the area. Here are some photos.
Raw materials for the project, 26 bags of red cinders

The project area, 15.5 feet x 5 feet

Weed cloth

The first 6 bags

I actually spread 5 more bags this evening. The bags are 5 to a stack, except for the 1st stack which was 6 high. It turns out I can spread 5 bags without my back really complaining. After doing the 6 this morning I had to take a break, do a bunch of self massage, stretches, back bends, etc., to get rid of the pain. But it was better by dinner so I decided to continue the project after dinner. Five bags is a good amount for me to be working with, no back pain, just a nice work out. But it was too dark for a photo. I'll take one tomorrow morning before I start the next stack of bags. If I do one stack in the morning and one in the evening, I should be done on Friday. 

Here's the final bag of cookie chips from Las Vegas, Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip. They came through the best of the 3 bags that we brought back.


Curt made the reservations for the next trip to Las Vegas! Since Mom was better during this trip than she was in June and seems to be continuing to do well, we decided to set up the next trip. Mom & Dad usually go to Vegas during the week of her birthday. Which is only 6 weeks away. We will be there from November 2nd through 7th; her birthday is November 4th. We will likely have another dessert get together on Saturday evening.

Happy Birthday to Hannele, Sheryl, Dorothy, & Isaiah!

No comments:

Post a Comment