Monday, September 12, 2016

There She Is Miss America

I watched the Miss America pageant last night. Yes, I know, not something I would normally watch. But that's what Mom & Dad were watching, so I ended up watching it also. I noticed that many more of the contestants were women of color, several appeared to be multi-racial. And some were from states with fairly low proportions of people of color, though they had historic reasons for certain ethnic populations to be located there. Like large numbers of Vietnamese refugees being relocated to the Gulf coast states at the end of the Vietnam War. OK, now that's sounding more like why I would be watching the Miss America pageant!

I have noted earlier that Dad, who will be 92 in 2 months, does not take any medication and has 20/20 vision. About 2 weeks ago he went in for a check-up and I found that he had told his doctor a couple years ago that he did not want to take any more medication. (He was taking 1/2 tablet of lisinopril once a day.) His doctor agreed with Dad's logic that he had lived a good long life and did not feel a little medication would give him much more than he needed. His blood pressure was normal. I asked for a blood test so we could get a baseline, the results came back today. Of the 25 or so different things that they tested for, the only things that showed up was that his cholesterol and LDL were a little high, which is not unexpected since he is not taking the lisinopril. (Dad's high cholesterol is apparently not affected by diet since he does not eat a lot of meat or other sources of cholesterol.) I was pleasantly surprised that his A1C was normal since he likes his sweets and eats a lot of them. I hope I have gotten Dad's good genes so I can stay as healthy!

Happy Birthday to Kathleen! Happy Belated Birthday to Karen, Keral, & Seth! And Happy Belated  15th Anniversary to Ken & Dorothy!

No comments:

Post a Comment