Saturday, September 24, 2016

Whatever

Mom has been having more trouble remembering things. She will ask me about something, then a minute or so later ask the same question. The word "whatever" has become very prevalent in her vocabulary, as in, "What do you call the whatever?" Which makes it very difficult for me to figure out! She has also asked me, "Who was that person who came to our house?" without giving me any more context like when, whether they stayed with us or just visited, gender, age, etc. Sometimes after more questioning I can figure it out, sometimes she can't remember enough to answer my questions.

We got the word on Aunty Jean's service, it will be on October 9th. Later cousin Baron called to talk to Mom; then I got to talk with him. He is Dad's younger sister Gertrude's middle child. I had asked Mom earlier about their family but she could not remember anything. It's been a long time since I spoke with him or any of his siblings. Tomorrow they will visit for a short time. At a later date I will take Mom over to their house to visit with their dad who has difficulty leaving the house.

It's been a while since Mom has actually cooked anything, perhaps 5 or 6 years. She has continued to use small appliances such as the microwave, toaster, rice cooker, and coffee maker. On my previous visit I had discovered she was doing things with the microwave like entering 10 minutes when she actually meant to enter 1 minute, so I have been keeping an eye on her whenever she puts anything in the microwave. Then the week after I arrived she didn't notice that a plastic lid had fallen in to the base of the rice cooker and cooked a pot of rice, melting the lid like hot glue and sticking the pot to the base. We now have a new rice cooker.

Mom has the type of automatic coffee maker where the stream of coffee is shut off when the carafe is removed. Several times over the past month she has not put the carafe into the machine properly so the coffee backs up in to the machine; fortunately I have seen it in time and corrected the problem, avoiding a coffee flood. This morning she put the filter and grounds in to the machine without the basket so the filter collapsed. I think it might be time for me to take over making coffee. Wish me luck, I'm not a coffee drinker so this will be a new experience!

We opened the 2nd bag of cookie chips, the Sea Salted Peanut Butter. They were a little more crumbled than the Original ones.


Here's a Malama avocado that we had in our dinner salad tonight. The cutting board it is sitting on is 6" x 10". Earlier I posted a photo of a bin of unripe Malamas at the co-op.


Generally after dinner Xander saunters over to the middle bedroom where Mom watches her Korean soap operas. He has taught Shiro & Chibi where to go. Usually Shiro lounges on the bed with Xander, while Chibi prefers the floor in front of the TV.
L to R: Shiro, Xander

Happy Birthday to Alan, Lane, Stacia, & Kathy!

No comments:

Post a Comment