Monday, January 2, 2017

And Now, Problems with Dad

When Dad woke up this morning, along with his usual complaint about being cold, he also said his his left ankle was hurting.  After more questioning I found that it has been hurting him for a while and is worse when he first gets in to bed. In fact, it was hurting him so badly today that he asked for something for the pain. I gave him some ibuprofen which I always carry with me for emergencies. I will be getting him in to the doctor tomorrow to find out what's going on; I don't like that the area looks bruised & depressed.
Inside of Dad's left ankle, sore area between 5" and 6" marks.

Mom's thumb has been sore over the past few days. Today it looks like the suture line has ruptured and blood is oozing under the skin. I have an appointment for her with her primary care physician tomorrow.
On 12/23 when bandage 1st removed. Thumb is slightly swollen but shows no line along suture.
This morning; note blood line under skin near joint.

Mom is still dizzy but learning how to deal with it. She still appears to be having the same frequency of dizzy spells. Her dizziness is intermittent, they last about 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. Then subside until she moves around again. They happen more when she is going from lying down to sitting, but have also occurred a few times when going from sitting to lying down.

When I first arrived 6 months ago, Mom wanted help straightening out her finances. She asked me to be in charge of her checkbook and balance it each month and also help her set up appointments with her financial advisors. We got a new filing cabinet & hanging file folders; the old cabinet was broken. I transferred everything & started filing the new things and also the old paperwork that she had in piles everywhere while she tried to figure out what they were all about. It took a while but I seemed to have it under control. Yesterday Mom got upset about some old paperwork that I hadn't found, she had written a cryptic note on it & was worried about what it meant; the statement was several years old so if it was going to impact anything it was already done. She pulled out a file folder from the cabinet & worried about what was in it, now I can't find the folder & its contents. I will be relieved when the dementia has made her forget more about these things so that I can clean things up without her making it more difficult to do.

Happy Birthday to Ummihan & Brad!

No comments:

Post a Comment