Friday, February 17, 2017

Kaia Turns Over!

Kaia did her 1st roll over yesterday! Here she is this morning, practicing her new found skill, with encouragement from Grandma!
Mom's toes are visible to the right.

I went to transfer my Washington driver's license to a Hawai'i driver's license. It has taken me a while since I needed to get the paperwork together. Besides the Washington license, I also needed proof of 1) legal presence, 2) legal name, 3) date of birth, 4) social security number, & 5) Hawai'i principal residence address. When I drove up there were a whole bunch of people lined up outside, fortunately that was for the driver's test and I didn't need to do one. The first line I was in went fast; she only made sure I had the proper documents. Then she sent me to the waiting room; I was #82. When my number first came up, it gave an estimated service time of 9:39. So far so good, only about a 5 minute wait.


For the 1st 3 requirements I presented my original birth certificate; Mom had a copy at the house. For the 4th one I presented a copy of my retirement income tax information (which came last week). The final one, the Hawai'i principal residence was the most difficult for me to document since I do not pay any bills here. I ended up using my credit union financial statement & my new Kaiser medical information (both of which also arrived within the last week or so). When 9:39 arrived the board changed and I had a new time, 9:44.


I was going backwards! I noticed numbers that came in later than mine, getting called earlier than mine. But there was nothing I could do but wait. Most times when it got to the time I was to be served, the estimated time changed and went out a couple more minutes; though at 9:48 it showed I was to be served at 9:47. Ooops! I finally got seen at Window #13 at 9:50. Within 10 minutes I had my eyes checked, paid my $40 (for an 8-year license), & had my photo taken.


After I got back Sarah, Kaia, David, & Randi went to the beach again today. Here is Kaia's baby float that I mentioned yesterday.


 And here it is in use on the sand, keeping the sun off of baby Kaia.
(Photo by Sarah)

While I was getting my new driver's license, Sarah started cleaning out the mess of bottles that Mom had by the stove. Among other things, Mom had a bunch of old herbs & spices there. Schilling was the spice company on the west coast (thus Hawai'i). It was bought out by McCormick in 1947 but they continued to use the name and the last containers made that were marked Schilling were produced in 2002. So these are at least 14 years old.


Another box arrived today with items that Sarah had shipped to our house. One was a device to help keep Kaia contained while she is being bathed in the sink. Here she is getting cleaned up after her swim today.


Yesterday David got the Wii to work. This evening he showed me how to get started; we also played a bunch of the games to test them out. We created a Mii for Mom; it had gray hair, red glasses, & a purple shirt. I think just getting Mom to practice standing on the balance board will be a good first step for her. I'll get photos when we start her out on it.

Happy Birthday to Marc, Dixie, & Jeff! Happy 10th Anniversary to Susan & Lane!

No comments:

Post a Comment