Sunday, February 12, 2017

Me & the Klan

I forgot to mention the text I got yesterday from Mary Ellen while I was reorganizing the bedroom. It said, "Thinking of you. Preparing greens." I replied, "Collard greens? Me ... & the Klan?" Her response was, "So true."
Collards for the Diner. (photo by Mary Ellen)

On the 2nd Saturday of every month, Mary Ellen & Michael open up their home and host the Diversity Diner. The topic each month is different but the theme is the same, that even with our diverse backgrounds we are all connected. One Friday evening a few of us met at Mary Ellen & Michael's to prepare a case of collard greens for dinner for the Diner the next evening, when Eleta was doing a presentation for Black History Month. The sound of the big screen TV visible in the next room was turned down as we worked around the dining room table cleaning & chopping greens. All of a sudden Eleta looked up at the TV & could not believe what she was seeing on the tape delayed Opening Ceremony of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. We were all appalled. A small figure clad in red & holding a lantern was skating quickly, trying to get away from a large bunch of figures clad in white, wearing pointy white hoods! We could not believe we were seeing the Ku Klux Klan chasing a kid as part of the Opening Ceremony! After consulting with a friend who was watching in real time, we discovered the white figures were actually supposed to be snowflakes. But what was the SLC Olympic committee thinking, dressing them in pointy hoods???

Today was totally different from yesterday. Super sunny from early morning, well in to the evening. And this morning Shiro took full advantage of it! I built 4 shelves so that each of the cats could lay in the sun on their own shelf.
Shiro on his favorite shelf.

This morning as I was vacuuming it looked like I was finally getting control over the cat hair with the almost daily vacuuming; nothing was showing up in the canister. But I wasn't even getting the Cat Genie litter either. So I opened up the vacuum cleaner. Apparently I clogged up the vacuum cleaner while cleaning those 2 spots in my bedroom that did not appear to have been vacuumed for years. Once I removed the clog, I was picking up cat hair again!
There was about 6 inches of stuff packed in to the tube.

I decided to make a batch of gluten-free rolls using the America's Test Kitchen gluten free mix that I made a couple weeks ago. David arrives tomorrow, so I want to have a batch of stuff available for him to eat. I also decided to see if I could use the tangzhong method. I should not have altered the recipe on my very first try. I ended up confusing myself and the egg that was supposed to be reserved for the egg wash to be applied just before baking ended up in the mix. The rolls were very dense.
They really do need the egg wash to get a nice brown color.
The interior looks like a biscuit not a roll. Tasted pretty good, just not flaky like a roll.

As I was cooling the roll/biscuits I had to figure out how to do it without attracting ants. I opted for a new spin on an old solution: a moat!
The moat surrounds the castle, keeping the royalty & subjects safe from marauding ants!

Sarah & Kaia also arrive tomorrow, so after the rolls came out I started working on installing the car seat. It took me about 2 hours! The instruction manual is 50 pages long and all in English! It has 8 pages of Warnings to be read before using the car seat. Even with all those pages, they did not have a figure showing all the parts and what they are called so it was a little difficult to figure out which piece they were wanting me to do something to! I finally got it installed and it seems like it will work, although it has more than 1" of movement noted in the instruction manual. (It has about 2" of movement.) I hope Sarah has one like this back home so she can check if I did it right.


Happy Birthday to Dan!

No comments:

Post a Comment