Saturday, March 18, 2017

Garden Volunteer

While I was cleaning up after breakfast I found a little plant growing out of the scrubber that Mom has in a holder on the edge of the sink. It appears to be a volunteer tomato seedling. I carefully removed it from the scrubber and put it in a cup with a wet paper towel as a growing substrate.
The wayward seedling.
Temporary new home.

Curtis & Lori came by with Brent for lunch today. Their neighbor Anita met them here. It was great to have people come over to help eat the leftovers, though they did bring a little food; a couple Polish hotdogs, a slice of pizza, & a wrap. I forgot to take a photo so you'll have to take my word for it that they did not bring a lot of food. We wheeled Mom out to join everyone for lunch; she ate a little. After lunch Anita prayed with Mom.

After lunch I organized the bathroom closet where Mom keeps the towels. Since Mom seems to have resigned herself to getting a bed bath, I will have Yumiko come by 3 times a week to give her one. If the closet is organized she can help herself to towels whenever she is here. (As I write this I realize that Mom has towels in another closet. I will have to move those to the bathroom closet now that there is more room there.)
Before
After

I also did laundry today, most of it was Mom's stuff. I used 3 of the Skubb boxes from Suzanne to help organize the shelf that I am keeping her clothes on for the caregivers. I think keeping her clothes on the open shelf in the room she is in will be easier than having them go in to the bedroom (where Dad is sleeping) to get things out of her dresser.
The TV was on this shelf before we moved it to the cart so we could reposition it so Mom could see it easily.

Tonight Mom had a couple of difficulties. At 7 pm, when she tried to go to the bathroom, her legs were very weak. She ended up using the bedside commode because she was unable to get her legs to move fast enough to get there in time. She stayed up and watched TV. Then at 8:30 pm, as she was on the way to the bathroom (walking better this time) she asked where she was, she thought she was somewhere else. When I told her she was at home she was surprised and said no wonder I was there and it looked like home! On the bright side, she did not see ants covering the wall last night. (We are not sure whether she was dreaming or hallucinating when she saw the ants. And, no, there were no real ants in her room. I am pretty vigilant about cleaning up after she eats.)

Those cats! They're so funny! Here's Xander looking like he got run over by the wheelchair.


And here's Shiro not caring that he gets covered up as I straighten the bed out for Mom and get it ready for her to easily get back in to it.


FYI - There are still no ants on the old pork rind. Perhaps I did too good a job disrupting their trails to the counter. Normally that would be a good thing, but now that I want to see what they think of stale pork rinds it makes it inconvenient to have to go and find a bunch of ants some where.

Happy Birthday to Patricia, Chris, Steve, & Kate! Happy Awkward Moments Day, Biodiesel Day, Lacy Oatmeal Cookie Day, Sloppy Joe Day, Supreme Sacrifice Day, Quilting Day, & Corn Dog Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment