Wednesday, March 29, 2017

H & R Block

I took Dad to his appointment with Nancy from H & R Block today. It was originally scheduled for last Friday afternoon. Mom was too weak to go and Dad did not feel well enough to go; H & R Block rescheduled it to today. I let Nancy know that Mom had died on Saturday; she said I need to include a death certificate with the State return but not the Federal return. I guess the Feds will get their verification when Mom's social security number is retired. (Hosoi will be doing the paperwork for us for that.) Dad had to pay about $1660; Mom closed one of her accounts and had big capital gains to pay taxes on. I'm getting about $3400 back. I'm having my return electronically deposited, Nancy says that it will take about 3 weeks for my refund to show up in my account. Before I got home I had an e-mail saying that the IRS had accepted my return.


Dad appears to have dementia; he hasn't been officially diagnosed, but his behavior is that of a person with dementia. His dementia started about a year & a half ago but his rate of decline has been faster than Mom's rate of decline. Before Sarah & David came in February, and Kai just now, Dad said he didn't know who they were. I assured him that when he saw them he would know them; that's what we learned with Mom. If you just gave her a name she wouldn't know the person, but when she saw them she would know exactly who they were. Dad had no problem recognizing them once he saw them!

I have an appointment tomorrow with Ellen at Hosoi. She is the funeral director that we are working with on Mom's service. I think I found Dad's military paperwork that she needs to start the process to get Mom in to Punchbowl. I'll find out tomorrow if I got the right paperwork. If not, Dad & I will have to get in to the safe deposit box and check what is there.


Dad has said on numerous occasions that he is glad that Curtis and I are here to take care of things for him. He is relieved that we are taking care of the details for Mom's service, he said just let him know what he has to sign and when to show up. He has asked me to take care of going through all the mail and take care of whatever needs to be done. Unfortunately, neither Curtis nor I can sign checks on their account. We are looking in to starting another account with Dad's name and my name on the account. 

I am also starting on the photo collage for Mom's service. But first I had to copy all the photos on Mom's computer to a CD because Kai says it appears there is a virus on her computer. I've got a few more files to get off of her computer. Then I need to download the drivers for Mom's printer/scanner on to my laptop so that I can print from my laptop instead of having to use Mom's computer.

Happy Birthday to Ern Dog, Jim, & Leigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment