Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Ho'okele to the Rescue!

I met with Nia from Ho'okele Health today for the intake assessment. She put together the Plan of Care for Mom. Denise will be starting on Thursday evening, staying from 9 pm to 7 am. We're going to have someone help us for a week while Curtis and I make some improvements and also get Mom some physical therapy to help strengthen her legs.


This morning I noticed the temperatures on the freezer door. I had never noticed that someone set the freezer at -1 degree F, a bit of overkill. I think someone has forgotten the difference between Celsius where freezing is at 0, while in Fahrenheit freezing is at 32. I reset it to 8F, the highest setting available. Hopefully, this will get rid of some of the ice build up in the freezer.


Here's what breakfast looked like this morning. Dad's place is on the upper left, mine is the lower left, and Mom's is on the right. Mom can't eat anything raw so there is canned fruit cocktail for her. Mom's and Dad's juice cups are empty until I know they are really going to eat breakfast; I do a similar thing with lunch and dinner since I can't reclose the Boost Breeze juice supplement. The fruit bowl is usually followed by Eggo toaster waffles with peanut butter.


We are experiencing a lot of rain due to a very large storm system. Its so large it is covering the entire state. Its bringing both lots of rain as well as lots of wind and much cooler weather.


Which makes it perfect weather for indoor activities! Like folding my laundry that I washed last week. While Mom was in the hospital last week, I did all the towels on Tuesday, the sheets on Wednesday, and my clothes on Thursday. I took care of the towels and sheets but never got around to folding my own laundry. It's done now. Yay!


Curtis came over earlier this evening to help put the bed up on the frame he brought over last night. When we moved the bed to set up the frame there was so much cat hair we could make another cat! Unfortunately I forgot to get a photo, I just grabbed the vacuum to clean it up. I had to empty the vacuum canister 3 times! Here's the bed, now about 6" higher. And it made a difference, perhaps too much of a difference. Mom can now get out of bed without help so is once again shuffling along to the bathroom by herself. Still unsteady, still refusing to ask for help. Auwe!

We also cleaned up the stuff Mom had in the bedroom so that the Ho'okele caregiver can have a place to sit while she is here to help Mom. It will also make it easier for Mom to navigate with the walker.


After we cleaned up the bedroom, Curtis went to Longs and picked up a booster for the toilet. It was normally $35, but with his coupons and special discount, he got it for less than $12! Mom used it and did not notice it, but was able to stand up easily.


All the activity in Mom's bedroom annoyed the cats. They did not have the bed to sleep on for a half hour or so while we cleaned the room and put the frame together. And our cleaning took away Chibi'c sleeping spot. She took out her frustration by chasing Shiro around the house. For about 10 minutes. Unlike dogs, cats have only short outbursts of play, followed by looooooooong periods of sleep.
Play time is over, now for sleep!

Happy Birthday to Sally! Happy Dadgum That's Good Day, Fruit Compote Day, Horse Protection Day, Peanut Butter Lovers Day, and Pig Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment