Friday, March 3, 2017

Hooray for Obamacare!

A couple days ago I mentioned that I am on Kaiser Quest, one of Hawai'i's plans available under Obamacare. But I forgot to mention that a couple days ago I received a bulky little package in the mail from Kaiser Quest. It is a colorectal cancer screening kit. I collect the sample and send it back to the Kaiser microbiology lab. It will cost me $0. Which is the same as my monthly premium. I am going to be kinda pissed if our new president gets rid of the Affordable Care Act without putting something as good or better in place first.


Chibi was out in the open a lot this afternoon. She was hanging out on the green beanbag chair; I think I will have to have it shipped to the Big Island when I move there. Here's Chibi being cute.
Chibi at 4:30.
Ten minutes later.
A minute later.
Yet another minute later.

The weather has changed; it has become very humid & muggy. So I spent a couple hours this afternoon organizing the secondary freezer. This is the one in the family room, next to the TV. It is where I have the flour stored and many of the meals I have cooked and some that Lori & Baron have cooked. It is a good chore for a muggy day. And now I know what kind of meals are available that just have to be heated up and what raw materials I have for future meals. On the next humid day I will tackle the main refrigerator and do the same, plus some purging of old things.

Denise from Ho'okele did a great job last night. And Mom was not upset with her. Denise took great notes; she will be back next Thursday evening. Tonight Diane is staying with Mom, who was very awake and active this evening. Mom told Diane she was going to be a cantankerous and grumpy patient. Then proceeded to tell me that she did not want strangers in the house without being asked. I reminded her that we talked to her about this a couple days ago and she had someone here last night.(Which was news to her.) In the end she liked Diane!

I am trying to use this experience to get Mom to realize that she needs to use the assistive devices and also do a little more exercise if she wants to be more independent. When she complains about having people here I tell her it is only until she gets stronger and Dr. Pham will be helping to get some to give her exercises to get her legs working better. We also remind her she needs to be healthy and strong to be able to go to Las Vegas again.

It has been interesting to see how the dementia and leukemia are intersecting. Because Mom has dementia she can't remember that she has leukemia. She also can't remember when she was diagnosed. She does remember that she was told she had 6 to 12 months. Right now she thinks she was diagnosed this January, so she thinks she has until the end of June to take care of things. Which she has actually taken care of already; I remind her that they are done. Every. Day. Since she asks the same questions, I have developed a concise answer that covers all the things I know she is concerned about for the specific question. I guess that is a benefit of dementia for me.

Happy Anniversary to Shabbir & Ruqqi!

No comments:

Post a Comment