Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Signs of Change

Whenever I would take Mom to her transfusions or medical appointments or visiting friends or family, she would always ask if I left a note for Dad. So I made signs for the different things that we did. A lot of signs. Now I can retire some of them.
Signs to be retired.

I am keeping these signs and will probably be adding a couple others. I put the signs in a plastic page protector and leave them on the breakfast counter.
Current signs.

Since Kai is leaving tonight, Curtis took Kai and me to breakfast this morning. He has decided that he & I will go to breakfast every Tuesday morning so he can introduce me to the great breakfast places around the island. Dad rarely eats breakfast now, but I always make him a bowl of fruit & leave it in the refrigerator. If he gets up & thinks its morning he eats the fruit with his cottage cheese. If he's awake early enough on Tuesday we will take him to breakfast with us, if he wants to go; he rarely likes to leave the house any more. Today we went to the Highway Inn in Kaka'ako; the original one is in Waipahu.
Menu from Highway Inn in Kaka'ako.

Kai & I had the Smokn' Moco, a variation of the Loco Moco. It is made with meat smoked with lychee wood, bell peppers, onions, smoked aioli and eggs over rice. Kai had the full sized meal with fried rice; I had the mini size with brown rice. The moco comes with macaroni salad.
L: Smokin' Moco with fried rice; R: Mini Smokn' Moco with brown rice.

Today we were out of lettuce for salad so I harvested the biggest head of lettuce. Removing it will provide space for the remaining plants to grow. The lettuce plants in the planter to the right will be harvested next. Since these were from starts the plants are crowded together, I have been thinning them but they have not grown as fast as this direct-seeded lettuce. I plan on doing succession plantings of lettuce so that we have a continuous supply of homegrown lettuce.
The knife is 8 1/2" long.

Kai was having trouble with his charger. He asked to borrow one of mine, I gave him the Koppla charger that Suzanne brought as omiyage. It has 3 USB ports and worked well for him.


Happy Birthday to Lenny & Jon!

No comments:

Post a Comment