Monday, April 24, 2017

Fresh Picked Mangoes for Breakfast

This morning I started out by picking some mangoes before breakfast. I saw 3 ripe mangoes last evening when I took a bunch of flowers over to Jamie's house. You can see one of the mangoes in the photo below; it's bright yellowish orange, hanging above the section of fence closest to the street sign.


Since I was on the other side of the street, I took photos of the north side of house. Unfortunately I did not take a "before" picture so you could see what David did. Just imagine 6 or 7 stumps of 'oha'i ali'i spread along the fence. There are still 2 stumps left, they could not be dug out because they are too close to the kokutan bushes that I want to keep; I have to cut them down at ground level.
The yellow and red 'oha'i ali'i, seen to the right, are being trained in to trees, like the pink one on the left side of the driveway


I started the clean up of the baking cabinet; it was looking pretty good, no ants seen coming or going. I moved everything out and cleaned up the diatomaceous earth that I had sprayed to get rid of the ants.
Look Ma! No ants!

But those ants are sneaky. I took everything out of the baking cabinet and saw no ants. But when I looked in the box they were climbing on earlier, they had confined themselves to the box in order to avoid the diatomaceous earth. You could see where they ate holes in to the sugar. I got rid of the box of sugar.
The white stuff is diatomaceous earth that I sprayed to keep the ants from escaping. The black things are the ants.

I put the other open bag of brown sugar into a plastic container with an ant-proof lid. It's a little shorter than a full box, but once the box is open I can take the bag out & fit it in the container.
I cut the box apart to keep the important information with the bag of brown sugar.

I found the container in the cabinet that Mom seems to have most of the plastic containers in. The only problem is that she did not keep all the lids in the same cabinet. It's like looking for Easter eggs.
Some of the containers were removed as I looked for something to put the brown sugar in.
Here's what I took out of the cabinet, including the container that I used.

I found a volunteer banyan this morning. It is growing out of the drainage hole of a pot in the holding area on the side of the house. When Susan, Curtis, & I were born Dad's father started a bonsai banyan for each of us. They were growing well until about 10 years or so ago when Dad started having difficulty getting around the yard & was unable to water them as much as they needed. I am hoping to be able to get this one to grow as a bonsai.


Bick & Ron dropped by this evening after dinner. We went and picked up some malasadas at Leonard's Bakery. We got the filled ones: custard, haupia, dobash, macadamia nut, and mango. They are yummy! I think the dobash is the best. We're going out to breakfast tomorrow morning with Curtis.

Happy Birthday to Chuck, Jack, Meira, Alika, & Mason! Happy Pigs in a Blanket Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment