Sunday, April 30, 2017

Lots of Rain & a Record Low

It was raining from when I went to bed last night until I woke up this morning at about 7:30. The 1st thing I noticed was that the hallway light was on, then I saw that Dad's light was on & he was not in bed. Turns out he was in the family room, he had turned on all the lights on the way there. It was still raining so it was dark. And it was also cold, it was 63 degrees F! And the strawberries were flooded. I'm glad the timer has a 'rain delay' function; I set it so it skips the next watering tomorrow so the strawberries can dry out. If it stops raining soon.
Concentrated rain from roof has eroded area between last 2 plants; note soil on board.
I'm impressed with this timer, it was part of the drip irrigation kit that I bought.

And Dad was confused. He thought it was Saturday evening and it was time for dinner. I corrected him, then gave him his breakfast. After I opened up the curtains and got the newspaper I excused myself and went back to sleep. My fibromyalgia is acting up because of the cold weather, making me sore and tired; being cold triggers my symptoms. I pulled out a pair of Mom's leggings and put them on to keep warm; my sweatpants are in Kohala. I also got Mom's Mobile Warming heated vest out, but I needed to charge the batteries up again before I could use it, so I used Mom's heating pad instead.

I had been sleeping for less than an hour when I heard a crashing sound. I went back out to the kitchen & found that Dad had fallen. He was apparently putting his breakfast dishes in to the sink & lost his balance. As he fell he scraped his right knee and hit his back against the stove. After I helped him to a standing position, I got the wheelchair and had him sit down in the family room while I dressed the wound on his knee. He wanted to go to his bedroom after that so I wheeled him there & he went to sleep.

After all that excitement all I wanted to do was crawl back in bed & curl up with a nice cup of hot chocolate. But I haven't made any of my hot chocolate mix without milk products yet since 99% of the time the weather here is not conducive to hot chocolate. But I had bought some chocolate coconut water. Yes, it is a kinda weird flavor combination, but I had to try it. And I discovered it has a nice chocolate flavor, much like my hot chocolate mix. However, if you are expecting something to rival chocolate milk you will be very disappointed. Think of it as chocolate milk for the lactose-intolerant. It works for me, hot or cold.

Along with hot chocolate coconut water, I had a poi doughnut with peanut butter for breakfast. Then it was back to bed with the heating pad. The temperature had now dropped to 62 degrees! I heard on the news tonight that it actually went down to 61 degrees, a new record low for the day.


I got up at lunch time to see if Dad was hungry. When I woke him up he asked me if it was time to vote. Huh? Dad has never voted in his life, he did not want to get called for jury duty. I told him no, but it was time for lunch. I made soup to help warm both of us up. He asked me a couple more times about going to vote, so I used my replies to prep him for the doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon. I think he may be getting confused with the voting that the teachers were doing on Thursday to determine it they were ratifying their new contract; news about the vote has been all over the news on TV as well as on the front page of the newspaper for the last week.

The rain had stopped for about an hour & it seemed that the clouds were thinner because the sky was brighter. The temperature had also warmed up to 67 degrees F. But it wouldn't last, it started raining again so I crawled back in to bed.

When I got up to start dinner I found Dad was already awake and sitting in the family room. He asked me again about voting. Then he asked me if Mom had called. I reminded him that she had died, he wanted to know if she died at the hospital. He then remembered that we placed her ashes in Punchbowl but he did not remember the service at Hosoi or having lunch afterwards. I gave him a copy of the program, he spent a while reading it. Then rereading it. And rereading it again.

Happy Military Brats Day, PrepareAthon Day, Adopt a Shelter Pet Day, Bugs Bunny Day, Hairstylist Appreciation Day, Honesty Day, Oatmeal Cookie Day, Raisin Day, Sarcoidosis Day, & Pet Parents Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment