Monday, May 8, 2017

Breakfast in Kaimuki

Curtis needed to take Lori to work this morning & deliver some paperwork for the cruise they are taking in late June, so we switched breakfast from Tuesday to this morning. Due to an accident Curtis got delayed in picking me up so we went to the Koko Head Cafe which is only about 5 minutes away. Here's the specials board over the kitchen.


There were lots of yummy looking choices. I finally settled on the Koko Moco which has a Maui Cattle Co. beef patty, garlic rice, mushroom gravy, sunnyside up egg, & tempura kimchi. Curtis had the Volcano Eggs which has baked eggs, spicy tomato based sauce, cheddar cheese, choice of daily north shore vegetables or diced Portugese sausage. On another visit I think I'll try the Kimchi Bacon Cheddar Scone.
Koko Moco.
Volcano Eggs (photo by Curtis).

I moved the strawberries up the wall a notch. At the original height the plants got direct sun from about 10:30 a.m. until about 4:30 p.m., or about 6 hours each day. This is the minimum amount of direct sunlight that fruiting plants need in order to ripen fruit; the more sun the better the yields. (Which is why things grow so big in Alaska.) Unfortunately, the weather has turned and was overcast for most of the day so I was unable to check if they got more sun at the end of the day. The weather is supposed to be similar tomorrow so I might not know until Wednesday. It will be a balance of sun and wind; the higher up the wall I place the plants the more they are exposed to the wind.
A little higher on the wall.

I used to use a pair of knee pads when I did my gardening. But they were old and falling apart so when I moved I got rid of them with the intent of replacing them when I got here. I bought a pad to kneel on, but I have to keep repositioning it when I move around. So I went to City Mill today; they had no knee pads in the garden area. So I asked about knee pads for construction. Because those knee pads are for someone working 8 or more hours each day there were a lot of options.

These are pretty much the same as my old ones, except the old ones were green.

I ended up spending about twice as much as what I paid for my original pair. However, the new pair has gel cushions for my knees and the outer portion is hard plastic so I'll have protection from little rocks. I think they'll last longer than my original pair.
The winner: All-Terrain Kneepads with Layered Gel.

Happy Birthday to Traci, Evan, & Robin! Happy Coconut Cream Pie Day, Have a Coke Day, Student Nurse Day, and Women's Checkup Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment