Monday, May 15, 2017

Dad Fell Again

I wasn't going to post anything tonight. But as Dad left to go to bed after the 10 o'clock news I heard a sound of someone sitting down on the bean bag chair. I am the only one in this house who can sit down on the bean bag chair ... and get back up again without help. I went to investigate and found that Dad had fallen again. He tried to walk through the living room in the dark & tripped on the rug runner that Mom had put over the hole in the carpet. After trying several different things to help him stand up, I had a great idea! I got a bunch of the old Compton's Pictured Encyclopedias. I had Dad lift his butt as far off the floor as he could and slid one under him. We went one volume at a time until he got high enough that his good leg could help him stand up. (I guess when we change the carpet we can't get rid of the encyclopedias as we had been planning.)


There is Good News and Bad News about this latest fall. The bad news is that I was unable to lift Dad up like I was able to do before. But the good news is it's because Dad has picked up some of the weight he lost last year. The Boost Breeze and Compact are doing their job!

From now on I will have to change some of my evening activities. For example, I have taken over closing the vertical blinds because the path to the cord is an obstacle course. Now I will add turning on the hall light right after dinner so that Dad doesn't try walking through the living room in the dark again.

Happy Birthday to Allison! Happy Chocolate Chip Day, Nylon Stocking Day, and Peace Officers Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment