Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Leavin' On a Jet Plane

This morning I did a bunch of clean up around the plants & examined them since I'll be gone for a couple of weeks. I topped off the red cinders around the volunteer papaya and bitter melon in the front yard, spread red cinders around the catnip to keep the weeds down, and checked out the rest of the plants. There is a new strawberry starting to ripen, plus several others that are still growing. All 4 papayas are doing well. The catnip is showing signs of being heavily grazed but the lower portions protected by the chicken wire and grate are doing well. And there is now a ginger sprout coming up!
The ripening berry is on the 3rd plant from the right, hanging below the gutter.
Shiro getting ready to sample the catnip.
The front sprinkler is not oscillating properly; I set it so it waters the papaya & bitter melon.
This old sprinkler works well.
The ginger is sprouting near the shadow line.
 
I'm heading to Seattle tonight; the ultimate goal is to go to Gregg Dias' memorial on Saturday. I'll be staying at the Wood's residence. I'll also be visiting other friends during the week I'm there.I'll be there for a week before heading to the Big Island for Uncle Kazu's birthday! In the meanwhile Curtis is coming over to stay with Dad. He is also taking Dad to Las Vegas for 5 days. Over the last couple of days, however, Dad has been saying he's not going to Vegas. When I asked him why he said no one would be here to take care of the cats. I told him Brent would be and that calmed him down. A few hours later he would say he wasn't going, so now whenever we talk about my trip to Seattle or his trip to Las Vegas I give him details about Brent coming to take care of the cats; it makes him relax about leaving the cats at home.

Friday and Saturday is when the peak of the king tides for May will occur. It is predicted to be about 2', which wouldn't be that bad, however, there is a south swell that is also predicted to arrive for the same period, they are expected to be 8 feet high! Waves are already starting to overtop groins and seawalls this afternoon. I wish I was going to be here to see them. I guess I'll have to wait for the ones that are going to be coming in June & July. FYI - There were also king tides in April. If you read the link above you would know that the article says its the highest tide of the year and occurs twice. Not 4 times. Can you say "Climate Change"?

I'm signing off early to get ready to go. My plane leaves at 10 pm.

Happy Birthday to Juan, Bill, Holly, Janice! Happy Escargot Day, Scavenger Hunt Day, Aviation Technician Day, Emergency Medical Services for Children Day, and Brother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment