Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Oh, No! Not the Ponzu!

I was running out of ponzu sauce, which I use instead of salad dressing, so I stopped to buy some while I was at Don Quijote today. While getting my usual ponzu sauce, I discovered there are several different types of ponzu sauce; I decided to try the garlic ponzu sauce. All went well until I had to lift the bag out of the grocery cart; it broke and fell from about 3 feet above the ground. (Don't know why the bag boy made the single paper bag the heaviest one. The cloth bags were really light.) At first I thought I was okay, but then a brown liquid started dripping out of the bag. Oh, no! It's the chocolate coconut water! But that was not it, the coconut water is in a paperboard carton. It was the garlic ponzu! It smelled really good, I will have to buy it again.
The photo does not show that the neck of the bottle actually broke off from the rest of the bottle.

Fortunately the regular ponzu sauce bottle didn't break. And it was a good thing the mayonnaise was in a plastic bottle. When I got home I had to wash off the other items in the bag that were covered in the garlic ponzu, it smelled really, really good! (I was a little hungry.) The other things in the bag were cans of SPAM and crab (they didn't even get dented) and a bag of haupia mix.


Before I left to run errands I had soaked an old stove grate in an ammonia solution to get the cooked on oil and grease off of it. When I picked it up earlier my hand was sticking to it; the old grease seemed to be a quarter inch thick! It looked and felt much better after I was done; ready for its new life! Stay tuned to see what it will be doing next.
Results of soaking for about an hour.
After scrubbing.

Dad got a letter from Kaiser today. It said his medical insurance ended on March 31st! I immediately called to find out what was going on. When we were there on May 1st and May 12th and setting up the Home Health Care they didn't say anything about not having coverage. It turns out Dad was on Mom's health plan so when she died his health care was terminated because he was listed as a dependent on her plan. But because of Mom's excellent retirement package her surviving spouse is still covered. So on April 1st Dad got his own plan; so he's still covered! Whew!

I got another surprise in the mail today; Mom's Discover card statement arrived. I checked off all the auto-pay accounts she had, but there was one still left. The statement had it listed as, "WC *VALUE SOURCE 800-4751942 MN" with a $24.95 charge. I looked it up on the Internet; the news is not good. It is apparently a scam, they get you to order magazines and then you can't stop them from charging your credit card; I checked and found monthly charges all the way back to October last year. This does explain the magazines that Mom started getting that she couldn't remember ordering. And I don't think she really did order them because they weren't magazines that she would order, like In Style and Money. I will have to make some calls tomorrow to cancel the card and have a new one reissued to Dad. (They had a joint account.) Then I'll have to send the new number to the 3 businesses that she has on auto-pay on that card. In the meanwhile, I have entered the number on my cell phone and marked it as an auto-reject call so I don't get any calls from them.

I think Mom knew something funny was going on with her Discover card. She wouldn't let me look at the statements. And since the Discover card was automatically paid by the bank account I didn't need to help her write the checks to pay it; so I didn't really need to look at it so I let her hide them from me. I found them in a pile on her desk but didn't look through the old ones until tonight.

Happy Honor Our LGBT Elders Day, National Biographer's Day, Coquilles Saint Jacques Day, Love a Tree Day, Piercing Day, and Sea Monkey Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment