Thursday, June 15, 2017

Another Busy Day

Today I took Dad to sign a bunch of papers. We had to get the Territorial Savings joint trust account changed from a passbook account to a statement account. Mom's dementia made her paranoid so she hid the passbook and I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Jennifer, the manager at Territiorial, was very helpful. The cool thing is that Mom first met Jennifer at Liholiho Elementary School ... when Jennifer was a student!

Then we went to Hawaii State Federal Credit Union. Patrick helped us close both of Mom's accounts and put the money in to Dad's trust account that he has there. Patrick also ordered an ATM card for Dad's account; Mom had one that she had me use when she wanted cash, so I did the same for Dad just in case. Patrick is also the one who helped me get the loan for the Subaru.

I had forgotten that American Savings Bank was right next door to Hawaii State; Patrick helped us negotiate the doors to get there. We had to stop in because they wouldn't talk to me over the phone about Dad's account. It was a good thing we stopped by; Dad's account was not in his trust and Mom was listed as his beneficiary. Diego helped us do the paperwork, the beneficiary for the account is now Dad's trust. Dad got to use the electronic signature for the first time; his signature actually looked pretty good.

Happy Anniversary to me! I moved here one year ago today. At that time I thought I was just going to be helping Mom & Dad keep the household running. Two weeks after I got here Mom was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia and given 6 months. The next nearly 9 months were filled with almost weekly lab tests, transfusions every 2 to 4 weeks, monthly doctor's appointments, numerous trips to the emergency room, and 2 trips to Las Vegas! Now its just me and Dad and 3 cats; today is also the anniversary of the day we believe Momo went missing. There are less medical appointments but my days are now filled with financial stuff to be taken care of for the next few months. The garden is growing and beginning to produce; there are a lot of landscaping projects to be finished. And we will be doing more improvements in the house to make it easier for Dad to get around.

Those runners, I can't believe them! They are so sneaky!
I removed a couple runners from this plant 2 days ago.
This one eluded me 2 days ago by going over to the neighbor's house!

What good is a strawberry garden that only gives you a couple of berries? They can be used as an accent! (Hmmm, been watching too much Master Chef...) Here's this morning's breakfast fruit bowl. Besides the strawberry there is mango and orange from trees in the yard here and bananas from the Kohala house; only the papaya was bought. And in a few months we'll have papayas from our own plants!


Yesterday was the 1 month planting anniversary for the pakalana. The main vine is almost long enough to reach the chain link fence. The secondary vines still have a way to go but they are all very healthy.


Happy Birthday to Sherry & Christina!

No comments:

Post a Comment