Thursday, June 8, 2017

Bath Time For Dad

Curtis came by just before dinner; the plan was to give Dad a bath, but he wasn't 100% sure that would happen. But it did! Curtis had him use Mom's shower, the one with the grab bars and fold-down seat. Dad liked the shower and said he felt better. Curtis plans to come by every evening to give Dad a bath at least for a while so it becomes a habit. Then if he skips a day here & there it won't be as critical. We think part of the problem might be that Dad was afraid of falling as he stepped over the tub edge in his bathroom. Curt also got Dad to change out of the old clothes he was wearing; I will wash them tomorrow.

I looked over the plants this morning. Curt is definitely not the gardening type. Here's the back yard. Most of the lettuce has bolted, he didn't harvest a single head. I'll have to remove the old lettuce and reseed the planters; most lettuce gets bitter when it bolts.


The papayas are doing really well! So good in fact, that I have to change the way I hang clothes. I can't hang sheets on the line closest to the fence and soon I won't be able to hang bath towels there either; the plants are getting so tall! The pakalana is also doing well.
I think I planted the one in the corner too close to the wall, it's will probably be brushing up against the wall.

As for the strawberries, he picked a few. He said the one he tried was very tart, so he saved the rest for me. Part of the problem was that he was picking them too early, before they got that deep red color. The info I read about this Seascape variety of strawberry was not correct. Seven out of 8 of the plants have at least 1 runner, most have 2, and one has 5! So the new plan is to let one runner root in the space between the original plants, then trim off the rest of the runners.




The catnip also survived, although it is really chewed up. The chicken wire and stove grate kept it from being totally destroyed. But I think I will need to remove the stove grate, both Chibi's & Shiro's collars were hooked on the grate. Fortunately I only buy the break-away collars for them so they don't get choked if their collar hangs up on something; I just need to find where they lost their collar around the house and cat run.


Happy Birthday to Steve & Michelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment