Saturday, June 3, 2017

Let's Try That Again

Between rain showers today I went out to pick limes. Lem says to use green ones for salting, not the ripe ones that Tomiko & I used last year. Although there were lots of limes on the tree, not many of them that I could reach easily were still green or mainly green.


While picking the limes, I noticed some Tillandsias growing on the branches. At first I thought that Lem put them there. But then I noticed that some of them were rather high in the tree. Then I started seeing them everywhere on the lime tree. There were also some in the Meyer lemon tree. It's pretty cool to have wild Tillandsias growing all over the place! The almost nightly rain showers keep them happy!


After washing the limes I rubbed each of them with Hawaiian salt. Lem said to press on them while rubbing them with salt, so I did that. The riper ones squooshed and shot out some lime juice. The greener ones didn't. I used alaea salt so it has a reddish hue. I have to leave them for a few days, if I can get them in to the sun that's better. Then I pack them in to a glass jar with more salt and let them sit for a while.


While on my way out to breakfast this morning I saw Jessie picking up her newspaper. She came over and said that Kings View Cafe also serves breakfast so I went there this morning. They don't have as many options as CSC Cafe but its easier to tell what it is that you are getting when you order.


I decided to try the Kapa'au Omelet. It was the first one on the omelet list; I think I'll work my way down the list in order.
Kapa'au Omelet with toast & potatoes. You can have rice in place of the potatoes.

I skipped going to the Hawi Farmers Market this morning. When I was coming in on Wednesday night there was a sign board on the side of the Akoni Pule Highway saying there was some sort of marathon today. Usually they go to the banyan tree and turn around; its the same banyan tree that the farmers market is under so it was sure to be busy today.

So when I left Kings View I turned left instead of right and went to visit one of the places I had seen in the LINK booklet. In particular I was interested in the Hawaii Wildlife Center. I talked with Dannette the Administrative Manager for a while. I think I will sign up to be a Wheels for Wildlife volunteer on O'ahu. They need people to pick up injured wildlife and get them to the airport for transport to the Center. Since they work only with native wildlife they get primarily birds. And since most of the birds are endangered they don't get as many animals as other wildlife rehab places (like Sarvey Wildlife Center where I volunteered for about 5 years).


I patched up my shoe that was losing its sole. I had thought it was the same one that I repaired earlier this year but it turns out it was the other one so my original Shoe Goo repair job was still working. I call these my TSA shoes; they used to have laces and velcro straps, I removed the laces. But it was a good thing I had my hiking boots for walking around David's wetland, otherwise I would have had a difficult time walking around with a floppy sole.
The left shoe needs repair, the right one was fixed earlier in the year. Yay, for Shoe Goo!

Happy Birthday to cousin Richard, John, Oogie Richards, & Quyen!

No comments:

Post a Comment