Sunday, June 11, 2017

Not Momo :(

I got an e-mail very early this morning, about 4 a.m. The sender has a cat that looks similar to Momo but the shape of the other cat's face and body are different. I'm trying to find out if the other cat has any distinctive features that might easily identify him so I can sort things out. When someone on 9th Avenue calls and says they think they have Momo, I ask how many eyes the cat has; Lefty has only 1 eye, Momo has 2. I hope there is an easy way to tell this other cat apart from Momo.
Momo.
Other cat. (Photo by charouchi)
Other cat. (Photo by charouchi)

Yesterday evening Cheetan, one of the people Mom met when she was walking with Miss Tanaka and Mitzie, came by to ask if she could pick mangoes. She asked why I didn't pick them, when I told her it was because the picker was broken she picked a bunch of mangoes for us! We had fresh mango in our fruit bowl for breakfast today.
No, the other mangoes are not worshiping the giant mango; I cut half of the big one off before I remembered to take a picture. The plate is about 7&1/2" in diameter.

I pulled up all the old lettuce that had bolted and put seeds out for one new plant. I have space for 8 mature lettuce plants in each planter. Previously I planted 4 plants along one side in one planter on Week 1, then 4 along one side in the other planter on Week 2, then back to the first planter with 4 along the opposite side on Week 3, and finally 4 along the opposite side of the second planter for Week 4. Which would work really well for continually harvesting the lettuce if it was 30 days to maturity for the Anuenue variety I am planting. But its more like 55 to 65 days; which means I need to make more plantings for a continuous harvest. So now I have marked the planters and have figured out a pattern for 8 plantings which will hopefully give each planting the maximum amount of growing space between plants. And since with only Dad & me eating salads now 2 heads a week is probably good enough for us. (Since it is an open pollinated variety I could have left the bolting plants and harvested seed later in the year. But I will wait until I move to Kohala so I can start selecting for plants adapted to the microclimate they will be growing in.)
As I think about it more, I should have the planting order be 1-5-3-7 in this planter and 2-6-4-8 in the other planter. Then there will be 2 to 4 weeks sowing time between each neighboring pair of plants; they will have more space to spread out.

Dad was up for breakfast this morning. I made coffee for him in Curt's small coffee maker, I think he appreciated it. While Dad  was checking things out after breakfast I removed the dirty sheets from his bed and washed them. He's got a new set on now, we'll see how well they do if he starts taking more frequent showers.

Happy Birthday to Jeannette!

No comments:

Post a Comment