Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Anthurium Garden Cleaned Up

Rick from Aikane Nursery was here bright & early this morning. He does a great job cleaning things up. He also moved the orchid from Suzanne for me. I don't have any before photos taken from exactly the same spot but this will give you an idea of what it looked like before and how much better it looks now.
July 5th.
July 26th. Invasive trees, false cinnamon, & grass have been removed.
Looking westerly along the northerly side of the garage & house.
This used to be full of anthuriums under the hapu'u; there are still a few, mulch is needed before more plants can be added.
Rick found this hapu'u covered with orchids. I can't wait to see what the flowers look like.

I checked out the area where I will be enlarging the sewing room. Right now the room is 6 feet wide by 14 feet long; an awkward space with not much use except as storage. My plan is to make it 8 feet wider, so it will be a 14' x 14' room. After the Aikane guys cleaned out the invasives it looks like not many anthuriums will need to be moved; although it does look like one of the hapu'u will need to be moved.
The sewing room. It looks like the hapu'u in the back right & the anthuriums near it are the only things that need to be moved.

 I picked more limes this morning. The other ones were ready so I decided to start another batch of salted limes. If you like salted limes, let me know & I will send you some.
There are about 100 limes here

I went to visit Uncle Kazu after I picked the limes. He is doing great; he said I need to get out in the sun & exercise more! (He does 2 laps around the parking lot twice a day when the weather is good. If it rains he wheels himself around in the hallways.) While we were visiting out on the lanai, Kayla came along with her therapy dog Marley. They apparently come by every week. After they left I ran over the King's View to get ice cream for Uncle Kazu. We will be going to dinner on Friday night at Minnie's for their prime rib & lobster.
L to R: Kayla, Marley, & Uncle Kazu.

I checked on the dragon fruit, also known as nightblooming cereus. It had just flowered but since it blooms at night I missed it. I found 2 very small buds forming on another branch. If the flower has been fertilized, there will be a fruit in 30 to 50 days.
July 9th.
Hylocereus undatus flower; the fruit will ready for harvest 30-50 days after fertilization.

One of the things I am planning on doing is volunteering at the Hawai'i Wildlife Center which is about 10 minutes away. Tomorrow I go in for my orientation as a volunteer wildlife transport driver, which I can also do on O'ahu. They invited me to go along with them as they release an 'io (Hawaiian hawk). Hopefully, they will allow me to take some photos tomorrow.

One of the other things I am planning on doing is becoming involved with the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). I was never able to take the training before, but now that I am retired it will be easier to do so. I am on the Hawai'i Island CERT e-mail list so I get all their announcements about training opportunities. One is coming up this Saturday, its an on-line table-top exercise on hurricanes. I've done table-top exercises before, but never on-line; if this works well for me I could do it while I am sitting at home keeping an eye on Dad!

Congratulations to Flynn on his new home!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the CERT training, I have taken various components as well as the 8 week course they used to offer. Excellent training

    ReplyDelete