Sunday, July 2, 2017

Gardening Day

When I was in Hilo in early June, Aunty Doris gave me some fresh turmeric. She had been given a bunch of it by her farmers market friend. I planted it this morning. Turmeric is used a lot in Asian cooking especially Indian curries. Curcumin is the active compound; it provides that rich yellow color to curries. I'm looking forward to cooking with my own homegrown turmeric. It also has interesting flowers.
Not much to look at now, just wanted to get the turmeric in the soil before it dried out too much. I'll move it to a larger planter later.

Here are the mountain apple seeds. They were planted 2 weeks ago. It looks like all 3 of them are going to grow. We won't have room for all of them here; I'll have to find a home for the other 2.


I removed all the old lettuce and added new soil. I also marked the planters so that I could give the plants more space to grow. The Anuenue strain of lettuce that I am planting takes 8 weeks to mature. I am putting seeds out for 2 plants per week; the odd weeks are in this planter, the even weeks will be in the other planter.
Not much to look at here either. But there's a lot of potential.

As I was going in to City Mill this morning I saw a plant that looked like the unknown plant in the front by the volunteer papaya. So I looked at the signs to see what they were. Hmmmmm??? Sweet basil? Zucchini? I don't think so. There were no sweet basil starts in the bunch, there were a few zucchini starts, but it was mainly starts of the unknown viney thing. I'll have to keep searching for it's identity.


Happy Birthday to Linda & Melia!

No comments:

Post a Comment