Thursday, July 27, 2017

Hawai'i Wildlife Center

Yesterday I spoke to Sam, the wildife rehabilitation manager at the Hawai'i Wildlife Center, about going in for my orientation to be a Wheels for Wildlife volunteer on O'ahu. I applied after my June trip and was invited to come to an orientation during my earlier July trip. But there were so many family things going on during Obon I wasn't able to fit the orientation in. When things like that happen I like to think that it is happening for a reason. This time when I called Sam we were quickly able to find a time for me to meet with her; she also asked if I would like to be there for the release of an 'io (Hawaiian hawk). So that was the reason why I wasn't able to make it in early July!
L to R: Sam (with 'io in towel), wildlife technician Alexis, & development coordinator Rae, heading to the release site.
Sam releasing #17-4, a female 'io.
#17-4 heading for the trees at the edge of the release field; the mynahs were very upset by this new development!

I had a great time talking with Sam as well as Linda, the Center Director & person whose persistence resulted in the HWC; which is the only wildlife rescue center in the state. (I really lucked out!) Linda reminded me a lot of Kaye Baxter, director & founder of the Sarvey Wildlife Care Center where I volunteered many years ago. (Kai was still a toddler when I started!) I like the energy here at HWC & think I will be able to help out both on O'ahu as well as on the Big Island! One experience I am looking forward to helping with is the Seabird Fallout Response which happens during a concentrated period of time on O'ahu; I've never helped with one in Washington so it will be a new experience. By the way, if you think you would like to do something like this, you don't need to be a biologist like me to volunteer, contact your local wildlife rescue group to see how you can help.
Linda is in the white pants, giving a talk to visitors.

After I completed the orientation, I went to visit Mrs Ohta. She is still looking good at 92, though I think the late afternoon was a little too tiring for her; I will have to remember that & try to make my visits a little earlier. I spent a bunch of time talking with Arlene & Joy and also looking at photos Wayne had sent back from his fishing trip in Alaska. So far he has caught salmon and halibut and gone razor clam digging. He is now looking forward to fishing for black cod before he returns next week.

This morning when I went to run errands it was pouring rain! It was a good thing Mary Ellen & Michael came to visit me on Tuesday and not today. (Although the rain would have made them feel right at home!)
Yes, the windshield wipers are working! There's just a lot of rain!

I packed the limes and more salt in to jars this morning. When I set them out at the end of the ramp it was sunny. And when I got back home this evening it was dry but in between they got rained on, but it didn't hurt them. I will be setting them out each morning to get as much sun as they can. Jessie says she leaves hers in the sun for 2 days then puts them in the refrigerator. I will have to check with Lem and see how long he leaves his out in the sun. The last batch was in the sun for 3 days then sat in a south facing window for 2 weeks before I returned and repacked them and put them in the refrigerator; they still tasted good. Still need to find a good Moroccan tagine recipe (that uses salted limes or lemons; it can contain other things instead of salted citrus) and any other recipes for salted limes or lemons. Even though we used to eat them straight when we were kids I'd like to find other things to do with them.
The one on the right has more liquid because I added the liquid from the pan the limes were sitting on overnight.

Kai & Rick from Aikane Nursery were here again today. They finished hauling off the rest of the debris from the invasive trees and shrubs that they removed. Grandma's anthurium garden looks so good! Now its my turn to bring more organic mulch in and get the plants growing well again. But first I need to cover the stumps of the African tulip trees with cardboard & black plastic to kill any shoots that begin to sprout.

Here's another project I want to at least start during this visit. The goal is to get everything off the top of the closet, cut cardboard to cover the top to protect the surface, put my seasonal stuff up there (like the Christmas tree and New Years ornaments), sort through Grandma's stuff on the shelves on the right, and begin to put my things on the shelves. I also want to start getting my boxes out of the closet. There is also a white suitcase on the left hiding behind the closet door; the clothes in there need to be taken out and put away properly.
Yes, that's my new cat suitcase at the end of the bed on the left, along with my laundry on the bed.

About 6:30 this evening the hot spot decide to not work. Since it was early enough, I called the help desk number that Jimmy the Verizon tech had given me. Miraculously the hot spot started working while I was navigating through the various options on the customer service line. If just threatening to get help from someone at Verizon will make the hot spot cooperate that will work for me!

Happy Birthday to Rachel! Happy 4th Anniversary to Eleta & Trish!

No comments:

Post a Comment