Monday, August 21, 2017

Solar Eclipse

Today was the total solar eclipse that cast its shadow across the US from Oregon to South Carolina. In Hawaii it was a partial eclipse (about 25%) that started at 6:24 in the morning. Since I didn't have an unobstructed view to the east I didn't get out of bed to watch it, I just watched the sky get a little dimmer; it lasted for about an hour. I watched the television coverage which was kind of cool; they showed what people were doing across the country. The main one was in Carbondale, IL, which had the longest period of darkness.
Carbondale 1:17 pm (screen shot from TV)
Carbondale 1:20 pm (screen shot from TV)
Carbondale 1:22 pm (screen shot from TV)
Carbondale 1:23 pm (screen shot from TV)

It was interesting to hear half the commentators say that the last total solar eclipse in the US was 38 years ago in 1979. Even some of the posters about the event didn't acknowledge the one in Hawaii.
Eclipse posters (photo by Janice).

The other half knew that there was another total solar eclipse in the US 26 years ago in 1991. Mom & Dad took Sarah & David to the Big Island to view the eclipse; all I got was this t-shirt. (But its a cool t-shirt!)


I was able to see the 1979 total solar eclipse. I was working but since I had an outdoor job I was able to experience it on the clock! I was standing on a gravel bar in the middle of the Puyallup River when it began to get dark. The birds got very quiet, as it got light again they started making noise again. The fish didn't seem to become more active in the dim light.

Happy Birthday to Alla! And Happy 2nd Birthday to my Samsung Galaxy S5!

2 comments:

  1. glad you featured a photos I posted, I agree with TV photos I did the same thing!

    ReplyDelete