Friday, September 1, 2017

Doctor Visit

WARNING: There will be a photo of a blood draw towards the end of the blog.

No the visit was not for Xander. I was supposed to take him in this morning for another blood glucose test, but I forgot and gave him his insulin. Fifteen minutes later I realized my mistake and called the Cat Clinic; now I need to take him in next week and make sure I remember so I don't give him the insulin before the appointment. (I remembered last night. I got his carrier and all the charts prepped. Now I just need to make a big sign and put it on his insulin for next week so I don't mess it up again.)

Today it was for me. Nothing is wrong. I just needed to get started with my new doctor here at Kaiser Permanente; I signed up to see Mom's primary care physician, Dr. Pham. I like that I already have a good working relationship with Dr. Pham and her nurse Leo; he & I spent a bunch of time talking about Mom while he took my vitals. Their scale says I am 1 pound heavier than the WiiFit says I am. My blood pressure was normal.
Nothing going on here; I forgot to take my usual blood pressure monitor photo because I was too busy talking to Leo!

WARNING: Blood draw photo at the end of this paragraph. The plan is to get some blood work done today and get vaccinated for shingles and tetanus. I have to call and set up appointments for a pap smear and mammogram. I also need to get my previous medical records sent to Kaiser. And I need to get myself signed in to the website so I can communicate with Dr. Pham via e-mail and get all my test results on-line. I thought I already did this but Dr. Pham said it did not come up on her screen when she checked. Here's the blood draw.
Laurie the phlebotomist was surprised that I wanted to take a photo & was not put off by the procedure.

I didn't take any photos of Cyrillo giving me the vaccinations; I'm not that flexible. I had him give me the shots in different arms so that I could tell which one was possibly affecting me. The information Leo gave me about the vaccinations said that potential side effects for both of them included pain at the site of the shot; Cyrillo said the tetanus had the potentially worse side effects so he did that one in my non-dominant arm. He thought my reasoning for having the shots in different arms was interesting. I am planning on getting any vaccinations that are available so that I don't get anything and pass it on to Dad; since he hardly leaves the house I am the main disease vector so I need to minimize my chances of getting anything. My personal m.o. is to allow myself to fight off anything naturally so that my body produces the regular immunoglobulins on its own; but it does mean getting sick. (The tetanus is because I can't remember when I had my last one & so I don't get anything with all the outdoor and construction clean-up work I will be doing.)

I raked up the mango leaves this morning in anticipation of the tree trimming tomorrow morning. They are supposed to haul everything away, I didn't want to give them extra things to haul away. While I was out there I took a photo of the olena, mountain apple, and papaya.
The olena is in the recently weeded portion, the mountain apple is to the right of the olena in the weedy patch, the papaya is to the far right.

Curtis came and cleaned Dad up again tonight. He mentioned taking a real shower next time; he said Dad seemed to be open to doing it next time. We shall see what happens. Earlier today Dad asked if I was going to the Big Island again; I told him I was going in October. He said he wanted to go with us; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will actually go.

I had called at 1 pm to make my appointment with Dr. Pham. I had been thinking I would be getting in next week to see her, but the appointment person said, "Can you come in at 4 today?" So I did. Which meant I didn't have time to work on filling up the exercise ball. That's on the list of things to do for tomorrow.

Happy Birthday to Aunty Jeanne & Troy Jr.! Happy 44th Anniversary to Mike & Marilyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment