Friday, September 8, 2017

House #2

On my walk this morning I took a photo of House #2. It looks like it will be a 2-story house, with the first story being built of what is most commonly called "hollow tile" in Hawai'i; it is also referred to as a "brick" house, which is why Hawai'i elementary school students frequently get the answer wrong on IQ tests. In other areas it is called "concrete masonry block".
House #2 on June 28th.
House #2 on July 1st.
House #2 this morning.

Tony, the yard guy, came by this morning. He trimmed the weeds, basically he cut off the fruiting bodies so they don't spread an more seeds around. I will have to let them grow for about a week so that I can more easily see the plants so I can find the roots and pull them out. My goal is to put Tony out of a job!
Looks better from a distance, but the weeds are still there.

I needed to pick up groceries today. So after my weekly trip to look for Momo at the Hawaiian Humane Society, I went to Kokua Market, our local co-op. Dad drinks milk with his dinner and he was all out of milk. I usually get local milk but I couldn't find any today. While looking around I found A2 Milk; I first heard about this type of milk from my friend Terri. She loaned me an article about it when she found out I was lactose intolerant. A1 and A2 are variations of a protein in milk; some cows make only A1, some make only A2, and some make a mix of both. Apparently most cows in the US make A1 and if you can't digest the A1 protein you have symptoms similar to lactose intolerance: gassiness, bloating, and diarrhea.

Terri's article said many people who self-diagnosed their lactose intolerance (like me) are actually reacting to the A1 protein. Other articles say the A2 milk can also help with lactose intolerance. So I decided to try the A2 milk and see if I could handle it; I drank 8 ounces. It usually takes about an hour after eating for me to start having lactose intolerance symptoms to a milk product that I was unaware of in my meal. Guess what, after an hour I was having lactose intolerance symptoms! So it didn't work for me. It was pretty intense; next time I try an experiment with something like this I will start with 4 ounces. Lactaid milk also does not work for me. Lactose enzyme pills help a little. The thing that works the best is the shank prakshalana yoga cleanse followed by lots of live Lactobacillus acidophilus capsules (100 in one day); it's an all day event. I decided a while ago that since I can handle a little bit of lactose in a meal I would skip drinking cow's milk regularly & reserve my exposure to lactose to good cheese, cheesecake, & ice cream. I also discovered I can eat a lot of premium quality ice cream without problems because it has a higher fat content, which means less lactose per unit of volume. Winner!

While heating up Dad's dinner tonight I saw something running around in the microwave. It was a roach! It was in there getting microwaved for about 3 minutes. They really will take over the world after nuclear war. They could even survive the zombie apocalypse since they can still run around without their brains!
The dark spot on the back wall in the center of the photo is the roach.
Close-up of Super Roach, just before it was eliminated by Super Paper Towel. Good thing they are still susceptible to being squashed!

Happy Birthday to Stephanie! Happy 33rd Anniversary to Joan & Gary!

No comments:

Post a Comment