Friday, September 29, 2017

Ice is My Friend

This morning on my walk a nice driver let me cross a busy street; in an effort to minimize the delay I was causing I jogged across the street. Bad move. I sprained my knee again. I cut my walk short and as soon as I got home I iced it for 10 minutes. But I did not have enough time to do contrast therapy because I had to pick Ron up so that we could go to Curtis' house and help him with moving some large furniture. After I got back from Curtis' I did a round of contrast therapy and it really decreased the pain & improved my mobility. I also did it again after dinner and felt a lot more relief. (In contrast therapy you start with ice, then do heat. You do 3 rounds alternating ice and heat, ending with ice. I do 10 minutes ice. For the "heat" here I do 20 minutes at room temperature which is around 85 degrees. In cooler climates I use a heating pad set on lowest level.)
My new therapeutic ice pack, I liked my old one better. I am using it with the padded side against my skin rather than the net side per the directions. It was too cold that way.

After the furniture was moved we went out to brunch at the original Highway Inn in Waipahu. Curtis had the Corned Beef & Cabbage Plate, Ron had the Hamburger Deluxe, and I had the Kalua Pig Combo with a side of He'e (Squid) Luau.
The menu at the Waipahu location.
Corned Beef & Cabbage Plate with brown rice.
Hamburger Deluxe.
Kalua Pig Combo on a school lunch tray! Clockwise on tray from upper left: lomi salmon, pipikaula, haupia, poi, & kalua pig. He'e luau is in the bowl top left.

This Highway Inn serves a lot of very good Hawaiian food. It also has a poke bar! And they serve kulolo on Thursday!
There is a seating area to the left for the poke and other seafood from the poke bar; the restaurant is to the right.

On the way home, I passed by House #1. They were doing a lot of work there and had a lot of equipment in the road.


Almost forgot to mention that I found another papaya flower that was blooming.
The empty spot at the lowest leaf stem is where the other flower used to be.

Happy Birthday to Decarla & Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment