Monday, September 11, 2017

Papaya Flowers

Today as I was returning from my morning walk I noticed flowers on one of the papaya plants! I checked the others, it turns out there are actually 2 plants that have flowers. However, the flowers are still too small for me to figure out if they are female or hermaphrodite; I know they're not male since they're not on a long stalk. I might have a lot of papayas! Right now they are about 4 feet off the ground so at least they will be easy to harvest.


Yesterday I moved one of Dad's plants that he had by the front porch. It's a type of palm; I'm not sure what happened to it. It had been planted in a square 2 gallon planter, but about half the soil was gone and it was sort of tipped over and growing crooked. I moved it to the back yard so that it would get watered every morning. I also added more potting soil. When it fills out more I should be able to figure out what type of palm it is.

A couple months ago I wrote a series of blog posts about the problem I was having with the ants. I am still having intermittent problems with them but haven't said anything more. Lately though, they have been attracted to one of the old scrubbers that Mom had. The past few mornings I have had to hose it down to get rid of the ants. Here's a photo of the ants that were on it today; those are not coffee grounds, those are ants. Lots of ants.


It's getting more difficult to find things for Dad to eat. He says he doesn't do anything so he doesn't feel hungry so he eats about 1/4 of what he used to eat; he also has trouble chewing things because he won't wear his dentures. But I still have to get enough nutrients & calories in to him so he stays somewhat healthy & doesn't lose any more weight. That coupled with being low in potassium has made me become more creative with meals for Dad. I have been picking up entrees at Kokua Market that are made with ground meat, I made some banana muffins, & I picked up some dehydrated mashed potatoes today. In 3 weeks I take Dad back in to Dr. Nakano for a weight check.


Happy Birthday to Karen, Misty, & Seth! Happy 16th Anniversary to Dorothy & Ken!

2 comments:

  1. you know avocado has much more potassium than bananas. maybe your Dad would like sliced avocado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad loves avocados! As long as they are in-season we have them on our salad. There are so many more varieties of avocados available here that I have not eaten a Hass avocado since I got here!

      Delete