Thursday, September 14, 2017

Stop Diabetes in Its Tracks!

The results from my blood tests from my first doctor's appointment in 14 months showed that my hemoglobin A1C was just in the pre-diabetes range. It was 5.8%; when its between 5.7 to 6.4% you are considered pre-diabetic, 6.5% & above means you are diabetic. I know why I'm having problems: since I've arrived I've gained 10 pounds and have had hardly any exercise. (Walking with Mom really wasn't exercise for me, it was a leisurely stroll.) So this morning I went to a free class at Kaiser on what you can do to decrease your A1C levels.


Among other things, I learned that I need to increase my exercise level. Since my knee is hurting I have decided to start with increasing my walking from 15 minutes a day to 30 minutes a day for at least 5 days per week. Right now I am walking about 0.75 miles @ about 2.9 mph. Hopefully, my knee will be okay with the additional walking. This morning I saw the night-blooming cereus are blooming.


On Tuesday the internet at the house started acting up. From Tuesday evening through this afternoon, it was not working. We tried both Mom's old desktop and my laptop, both wouldn't work. Then, it just came back on today, so I'm chalking it up to a problem with the internet provider, Spectrum/Time Warner Cable. So I am catching up on what happened yesterday and Tuesday.

Yesterday started out with Xander going to the Cat Clinic for his blood glucose test and also tests for liver and pancreas function. Dr. Belcher said his blood glucose is still high, so they increased his insulin to 5 units twice a day; he goes back in next Thursday for another blood glucose test. Xander's liver & pancreas levels are better than they were last month when he was in such bad shape that he had to be hospitalized for 2 days. His pancreas levels were back to normal, his liver function was still a little high but much better than last month.It's quite ironic that he has diabetes and I am pre-diabetic!

After I dropped Xander off, I went to Feather & Fur Animal Hospital to pick up 2 wedge-tailed shearwater chicks for the Hawai'i Wildlife Center. But I had miscalculated the time and I was too early to take them to the airport, so I took them home to sit quietly instead of at the noisy cargo hangar. I got back on the road with an hour to get the chicks to Hawaiian Air Cargo by 12 noon; I needed to take them to the ag department at the airport first. As soon as I got on the freeway I found it totally stopped. It turns out there was a fender bender a few miles down the road, it also looked like there was spilled fuel. I took me twice as long but I got to the ag department at 11:30. I made it to Hawaiian with 10 minutes to spare.

Looks like there was a fuel spill.
Although it says "Plant Quarantine", this is where I have to take the birds.

On Tuesday we went to breakfast at Kam Bowl Restaurant. It used to be Kenny's Restaurant, where Dad & his 442nd K Company buddies would meet monthly. Then Kenny's closed; although they found a new place, not many of them showed up and they stopped having their meetings. Curtis had the standard ham and eggs breakfast; I had the Kamehameha Breakfast with kim chee fried rice, over easy eggs, & lup cheong.

Ham & eggs.
Kamehameha Breakfast.

Happy Birthday to Maria & Catherine! Happy Belated Birthday to Marcie, Kathleen, Dan, Duane, & Bryan!

No comments:

Post a Comment