Sunday, October 8, 2017

Next 100

Xander has been on insulin since August 18th. I give him 2 shots each day. It started out with 2 units twice a day; after a few weeks of testing he's now stabilized at 5 units twice a day. Yesterday I finished the last of the syringes from the first ProZinc U-40 kit, we started on the 2nd kit this morning; there are 100 syringes in each kit. Each of the vials has 400 units of insulin, the old vial looks like its got 3 or 4 more doses for him. At 5 units twice a day, I should be able to use it for 40 days (which is equal to 80 syringes). Right now he is on one 5 mg prednisolone each morning. Next week we reduce it to half a 5 mg tablet per day; after a week the vet will check his blood glucose level and see if we can reduce the amount of insulin Xander needs to take each day, so the new vial might go for a longer period.
L: Old kit; R: New kit.

This afternoon we were supposed to go to a special showing of the documentary "Go For Broke: A 442 Origins Story" by Stacey Hayashi. Dad even had his Go For Broke shirt out and ready to go at lunch. But when it was time to get ready to change in to his good clothes, he decided not to go; I was unable to convince him to go. I guess I'll have to go and see it in November when it is at the Hawaii International Film Festival.

Yesterday, Dad had company when he ate lunch. He's opening up a chocolate candy for his lunchtime dessert.
L to R: Chibi, Xander, Shiro checking out Dad's lunch.

I spent most of the weekend taking care of financial stuff, balancing checkbooks, moving money around to pay bills, etc. I also spent time with Pepper, brushing her and cleaning her up. Curtis will be coming back from Las Vegas tonight, he'll be dropping by this evening to pick up his car. I asked them to leave Pepper until the new WonderBowl tag arrives and I have time to train her to use it. She is picking up weight nicely; she also has more energy. I think Curtis will be surprised when he sees her tonight!

Happy Birthday to Faye! Happy Belated Birthday to Russell, Brita, & Kari! Happy Belated 22nd Anniversary to Andrea & Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment