Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Treats for Dad

One of the discussions yesterday with Dr. Nakano was finding ways to get more calories in to Dad, and if the calories come with some nutritional value that's a bonus! Dad's Nutter Butters have 270 calories per 4 cookie serving; it also has 90 mg potassium and 4 g protein. They have 11 g of fat but none of it is trans-fat & there is no cholesterol; total carbs are 39 g with 2 g dietary fiber. Today I remembered that when I first arrived Dad was always asking for chocolate from the container in the refrigerator, so I positioned it and the dark chocolate covered cherries near his water glass. (A 1/4 cup serving of the chocolate covered cherries has 180 calories, 2 g protein, 9 g fat, 26 g carbs, and 2% of the daily value of calcium.)
L to R: Dad's water glass; dark chocolate covered cherries; treat jar with milk chocolate, Hershey's cookies & cream chocolate, & white chocolate Frango mints; and my water glass.

The shelf just below the water & treat shelf is the healthier shelf. Both of the Boost products are kept here, they are best served cold. This is also the shelf where the cottage cheese is kept along with any prepared fruit bowls for Dad. The eggs & raw sauerkraut are also on this shelf. Dad knows to look here for his fruit bowl.


We got the quote from Sean from Abbey Carpet & Floor on what it will cost to remove the old carpet and replace it with laminated wood flooring. So now I will be working on packing up things on the shelves in the living room and the 2 bedrooms that will be worked on. I started with Mom's knicknack shelves in the living room.
I need to find a glass case for the dool in the center.

I started with the first shelf on the left side. There were 6 different kinds of Shichifukujin (Seven Gods of Good Fortune); though she didn't have the full set except for one group. She had 6 of the 7 for the kokeshi set; one of them has broken off. For 2 groups she only has 2 of the 7; for another she has 4 of the 7. The last set is still in a box labelled "Lucky Buddha", but even though there were only 6 figures its really the Shichifukujin. (They look different than Buddhas.) I think the manufacturer decided to call them Buddhas because more people know about Buddhas than Shichifukujin.


My knee was really throbbing this morning, so I only did 1 set of reps; I'm supposed to do 3 reps each for the first 3 exercises and 2 for the last exercise. I also decided to only walk 1 block out and 1 block back; which is about 0.27 mile and took me a little over 8 minutes at 2.0 mph. I checked in on House #1. It looks like they might be done with excavating, there appeared to be lines strung to set up the forms.


I got the medallion stamp for the last of Mom's life insurance policies. Actually, the stamp was needed so that I could have the monthly payments transferred electronically. Both Shirley from the bank & I could not believe that they required a medallion stamp in order to transfer the funds electronically but not for the initial death claim to start payments. And its not like its a whole lot of money, its only about $7,000. Usually medallion stamps are for amounts like $100,000 & more.

Happy Birthday to Cathy! Happy 8th Anniversary to Kari & Brad! And Happy 23rd Anniversary to Chris & Ernie! (I can't believe it was that long ago that we were all celebrating your wedding!)

No comments:

Post a Comment