Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Janice & Jackie Return to Kona

So Janice spells it "Jacquie" but Jackie spells her name "Jackie", so that's what I will be using going forward. We woke up early this morning so that I could give Janice & Jackie a tour of the yard before we headed to breakfast. Jackie also does permaculture design & biodynamics; once I am spending more time here I would like to hire her to help me see how we can make things here at the house more sustainable.

We went to breakfast at King's View Cafe, it was a beautiful sunny morning so we sat out on the lanai. Janice had the Ho'ea Omelet, I had the Homestead Omelet, and Jackie had a make-your-own omelet with tomatoes instead of toast.
L to R: Janice, Jackie. I'm not a beer drinker, but I think that Wailua Wheat must have a unique taste being made with passionfruit.
The Ho'ea Omelet.
The Homestead Omelet.
The make-your-own omelet. All omelets kinda look the same.

After breakfast we walked across the road to get a closer look at the King Kamehameha statue. I knew it was the first one of the Kamehameha statues that was cast & also that it was the first statue that had been commissioned to be on display in Hawai'i. But I didn't know when it was designed; now I do.
Janice checking out he feather details on the cloak while Jackie heads towards the display on the restoration.
It was cast in Florence in 1879.

We headed to Waimea after that since I needed to be back at the hospital at 11:30 for lunch with Uncle Kazu. We were on the coast road since I had not shown them sites along there yet. We went down to Upolu Airport which is near King Kamehameha's birthplace. This is also the airport that we first landed at when we came to visit Grandma & Grandpa. 
Hawaiian Airlines flight arriving at Upolu Airport, July 1960.

Back up on the Akoni Pule Highway we came to a stop. We were too far away to see what was happening, but a motorcyclist and a couple of trucks turned around & left so we did the same since we were on a schedule. On the way back from Waimea I decided to take a chance that it was cleared up. I couldn't really see anything that might have caused the stoppage except some machinery alongside the road. No one was there & that didn't make any sense since it was 11:15 so it was too early for lunch. I guess we will never know exactly what caused the delay.


I stopped at Minnie's, they were very busy. I ordered a mahimahi mini plate and a Korean chicken mini plate. By the time I got to the hospital it was noon & Uncle Kazu was just starting to eat the lunch provided by the hospital. The staff had forgotten to let the cafeteria folks know that I was bringing lunch for him today! So Uncle Kazu had a choice, he chose the mahimahi mini plate. But he was too full for ice cream, we'll do that later in the week.
Korean Chicken Mini Plate.

When I got back to the house the first thing I noticed was that Janice had forgotten some of her clothes. She had thrown them over the door to dry out. I guess she looked on & around the bed but forgot to look up! I'll be mailing them to her care of Jackie since I don't know if I'll have time to meet up with them before I leave.
Ooops!

I called Aunty Doris to see about meeting them in Hilo on Thursday or Friday but didn't get an answer. I left a message. I wanted to check on what I need to do for a building permit to enlarge the sewing room so it is a real room. I got on-line and found out a couple of things. First, Friday is a holiday, so I will have to go on Thursday if I want to stop in at the Building Division offices. Second, they have an office in Kona where I can do everything! Winner!

Happy Birthday to Mr. Bobo, Linda, Maria, Darryl, & Naomi!

No comments:

Post a Comment