Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Sam Deep Cleans the Bathroom

Sam started the deep cleaning of Mom's bathroom. I had done a little around the sink & the old things in the shower, but had not started on the shelving unit over the toilet. Sam did that as well as under the sink. Then she started wiping down the walls. We had talked about painting the walls, but after she wiped part of it down it looks like wiping down is all that it will need. Sam will take a break tomorrow and finish off on Friday; I'll steam clean the floors after that.
Over-the-toilet shelf unit, before. (Photo by Sam)
Cabinet under the sink, before. (Photo by Sam)
Sam in action!
Cleaned over-the-toilet shelving unit. (Photo by Sam)
Sam has wiped down the wall on the right side. (Photo by Sam)

Curtis came by tonight to clean Dad up. After he was done with Dad he spent an hour or so doing more work on the bookshelf in the hallway. One of the interesting things he found tonight was the invoice for the Cougar when Dad bought it in 1967 (on Curtis' birthday!). It was $4,075. He's giving the paperwork, as well as the original owner's manual, to his friend Mike who bought the Cougar from Dad.


While Sam and Curtis were hard at work I was making Fluffy Dinner Rolls for tomorrow night. I had read an article about cooking for Thanksgiving; it said to concentrate on making 1 or 2 dishes as your contribution to the meal and make the same thing every year so you get good at it. The Fluffy Dinner Rolls are my go-to potluck dish.

This morning I had my periodontal follow-up with Dr. Ching; he was checking on how well the deep pocket at my upper left back molar was doing. He said it's doing very well & I can be on a 6-month follow-up.
The view from the exam chair.
This is the art on the wall.

On the way back I stopped at Kokua Market. The eggnog is in! Not sure if it's as good as the one from Fresh Breeze Organic Dairy in Washington but it's probably better than the commercially made ones in the cardboard cartons.
Kai's favorite holiday beverage!

I picked a dozen oranges for Lori; now there are only about 3 or 4 left. We have now harvested about 80 oranges from this little tree! Since most of the oranges have been picked I started doing a little pruning. Today I mainly focused on cutting out dead wood and branches that were extending in to the walking area around the tree. My goal is to encourage the tree to grow a little taller while removing crossing branches; hopefully it will still be able to produce as many oranges after I'm done.
Orange tree, before. I actually cut off a long branch on the left that was blocking the waling area.
I have removed about a dozen branches. I'll do more to open it up, removing crossing branches & ones going in the wrong direction.

I also spent a little time trimming the orange 'ohai ali'i. I need to trim a little more to remove one of the branches and start sending all the growth to the branch I will be training to grow in a tree form so it gets tall enough so it doesn't block the view of traffic as I back out of the driveway. I did that with the pink one and it is looking really good without blocking the view; I now only need to do about 10 minutes of maintenance pruning about twice a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment