Tuesday, December 5, 2017

End of OSA 2017

Today was Sam's last day here for the O'ahu Seabird Aid Program for 2017. She went to breakfast with Curtis & me this morning; we went to Cafe Kaila. We had considered going to Cinnamon's in Kailua, but the timing would have been too tight; we'll do that when she comes back next year. This is our second time at Cafe Kaila; the first time was in May of this year. Sam had the Bagel Sandwich with the everything bagel with no Portuguese sausage, Curtis had the Breakfast Wrap in a spinach tortilla with meat but no potatoes, & I had the special of the day Red Velvet Belgian Waffle.
Bagel Sandwich. (Photo by Sam)
Breakfast Wrap. (Photo by Curtis)
Red Velvet Belgian Waffle.

After breakfast I followed Sam as she went to drop off the van at Young Brothers for it's trip back to the Big Island. I briefly checked out their costs on-line to see how much it would cost me to ship the Subaru to the Big Island; it's quite reasonable.
At the Young Brothers front gate.
Sam had to stop here to get directions on where to take the van for shipping.

Then it was off to the airport for Sam to catch her plane. She's heading back home to her own 3 kitties Soren, Ennis, & Atlas; and also her boyfriend John. It turns out the age spread of her cats is the same as our cats, but about 10 years younger.

In the afternoon I took Xander to the Cat Clinic for boarding while I am gone. He has become very comfortable with going to the vet now. They adore him at the vet clinic & spoil him!
Xander falling asleep on his way to the Cat Clinic.

I checked on the lone surviving orchid from the ones that Mom was raising about 30 years ago. I had moved it from the edge of the front yard to the back yard where it is automatically watered every day. It is looking healthier now and has a keiki that I clipped off to take to the Big Island. I want to see if I can get it to grow on one of the hapu'u in Grandma's anthurium garden. When I return I will remove the old, dead stalks and see what's really there in the pot.
Mom's last surviving orchid from the 1990's; the keiki is in the upper right of the plant.


I also checked out the orchid that we had gotten for Mom during her last few months. Purple is her favorite color and she had wanted to get one. This one had 2 blooming stalks of dark purple flowers. Today I found a new stalk forming.
A brand new flower stalk!

Chibi came out after dinner, I'm pretty sure she was looking for Sam and kitty treats. I wonder if Shiro & Chibi have noticed that Xander is also missing?

Happy Birthday to Dr. McD & David!

No comments:

Post a Comment