Thursday, December 7, 2017

Let the Roofing Begin


Chris & Adam got here bright & early and started the final prep work before they put the new standing seam roofing on. One of the panes for the window next to the roof shattered while they were removing some old material; it already had a crack & couldn't handle the extra stress.

Today they finished about half of the main part of the roof. They might be able to finish the rest of the roofing by the time I leave.
Before, it looks fuzzy because its taken from the bedroom window looking through the screen.
Done with this part of the roof.
Here's what it looks like when standing inside the garage.

I tried to find a spot where I could see the top of the roof but the slope away from the house is just steep enough to make that difficult. But here's are "before" and "during" photos so you can judge for yourself.
Before.
The part that has been completed is mainly behind the bamboo.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Curtis was busy packing up. He said Dad had gotten up early on his own, so he used that opportunity to pack up things on top of the dressers in Dad's bedroom. I told him that Dad had asked about finding someone to give Mom's clothes away to a couple days ago. I think he is ready to let go now.
Sunday morning looking towards Dad's dresser.
The only thing left is the monitor.
Sunday morning, looking towards Mom's dresser.
Not much left here.

I made a quick trip to to Sunshine True Value for some supplies and Takata Store for some food.  Can you guess what this is?


If you guessed door knob bumper, you're right! While Chris & Adam were working on the roof I cleaned up inside and also installed bumpers to keep the doorknobs from leaving dents in the walls. I installed them on the 2 doors needing them the most; these were the last 2 at Sunshine, I still need to get 2 more.


I also picked up some wooden stakes to block off the hole in the fence that the wild pigs have been using to get in to the yard; I don't want them to push over the hapu'u and eat the starchy core which will kill the ferns. On the last day of my November visit I set a bunch of rat traps to scare them away; it seems to have worked since I did not see any recent damage, but 2 out of the 4 traps had been destroyed and the last one was missing.
The stakes with the last surviving rat trap.

While at Takata I saw this, but didn't buy any. Before Thanksgiving I had heard that Pringles was selling a Thanksgiving chip dinner; it was packaged like a TV dinner with chips flavored like these plus mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and the rest. Although I didn't read the label, I am quite sure they are artificially flavored!
"Authentic Foods" Really? I wonder how the calories compare to a regular Thanksgiving meal?

Irene sent me some photos of what they were doing today. They were at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel where Gary made a sand sculpture; when they returned to their room at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel they made cocktails with the Meyer lemon!
It took Gary 5 hours to build this. (Photo by Irene)
Looks like an ad for cocktails at the Hapuna Beach Prince! (Photo by Irene)

I ended my day with packing things to send off to friends & family for Christmas.
I really like the priority mailers! Apparently so do a lot of other people, I could only find 1 medium size box.

Happy Birthday to Gabriele, Suzy, & Josey!

No comments:

Post a Comment