Friday, December 8, 2017

Roof is Almost Done

It was really nice to sit at the kitchen table this morning and look out towards the east and be able to see trees, as well as have the morning sun streaming in.


A short while later Chris & Adam arrived to continue with the roofing. Because the standing seam panels are the full length of the area to be covered it goes relatively fast. Not like the old corrugated roofing that was in sheets about 8 feet long by about 4 feet wide; they would have to be overlapped like shingles so water would run from one to the next without leaking under.
Adam (L) and Chris' hand (R), putting a piece of the standing seam roofing down.
L to R: Adam & Chris putting down the next piece. It was only about 20 minutes between these 2 sheets.

I spent some time checking the stakes to see if the wild pigs had gotten through the fence last night. (No.) Or if they had come in from the front. (No.) I also found a place on one of the hapu'u to set the keiki from Mom's old orchid. I hope it survives and thrives here.


As I was getting ready to leave I noticed that I could see Maui this morning from the front yard. I think this is the view that will be visible from the enlarged sewing room that I would like to build next year.


My first errand was to mail off the packages I packed last night. There were 5 of them; I sent those friends a text comprised totally of emojis to let them know it was coming and what date to expect it. The emojis with this blog aren't the same; here's the best I can do with these. Do you know what I was trying to say? (My phone has emojis for a plane that is taking off, as well as a plane that is landing; that's what I used instead of the plane silhouette and the inbox.)
✈πŸ“¦πŸ•‘πŸ‘πŸŒž.  πŸ“₯πŸ•›/πŸ•›. 

I took Uncle Kazu to lunch today. He just wanted to pick up a box lunch and take it to Mahukona Harbor. So that's what we did! We went to Minnie's and got an ahi plate for him and an ahi sandwich for me. It was such a nice day the parking lot was full of cars; there were a lot of people swimming and diving today.
The ahi sandwich with Maui potato chips.
Maui from Mahukona Harbor.

After lunch we went to King's View for ice cream. Uncle Kazu had the Mint Chocolate Chip, I had the Kona Mud Pie. They serve Roselani ice cream which is made on Maui; it's very good ice cream.


I had sent Irene & Gary the 2 Maui photos above, so she sent me this one from their hike along the Ala Kahakai National Historic Trail portion between Hapuna Beach Park & Spencer Beach Park. It's about 3 miles one way. The entire Ala Kahakai is about 175 miles and goes around about 3/4 of the island, though not all parts are in good condition for hiking.
Maui from Mauna Kea Beach Hotel area (Photo by Irene)
(Photo by Irene)

After dropping Uncle Kazu off I went to Arlene & Joy's house; I had a bunch of Meyer lemons for them. I had not been able to reach Arlene by phone so I was just going to leave the lemons on the table in the garage. She had just gotten home so I spent a couple hours talking to her until Joy got home, too. I stayed until Arlene needed to get ready to go to a dinner meeting; she's on the board for the Senior Center.

When I got back to the house Chris & Adam were gone; they had finished almost all of the roofing! The main thing that is left now is doing the siding. 
Looking out from the kitchen window; I'm glad I asked Chris to make the panels here clear so I can see outside.
Here's the view from inside the garage; the back wall needs siding.
Now you can see the roofing material!

Later Irene sent me photos of their afternoon activities. I think Gary has the skill to get in to making sand sculptures!
(Photo by Irene)
(Photo by Irene)

Forgot to mention that there is a cold front in Hawai'i right now. It's all relative. Last night I was texting with my friend Robert when I happened to whine about it getting down to 59 degrees F that morning and was expected to go down to 51 later in the week. He said, "It's 19 degrees here (wind chill = 7 degrees). I'll take 51 degree December temperatures anytime." He's in Wisconsin. Brrrr. Right now it's 63 degrees F, I've got another blanket on the bed. I have apparently been so cold I wake up with cramps from being curled up in a ball! Hope the extra blanket helps.

I took some photos of the pasture behind the house. Right behind the house it is perhaps about 75 feet from the fence to the trees; it gets wider as you go northerly. From there it slopes down to an old dirt cane haul road; when I was a kid it seemed like it was 10 feet down to the road but it probably isn't that far. On the other side of the road it goes down to Hanaula Gulch. I think the wild pigs are coming up from the gulch. Right now it doesn't look like there are any cattle in this pasture, but I can hear them so they are in a nearby pasture.
Looking northeasterly towards the ocean. From here you can see cars driving along Akoni Pule Highway (by the treeline in the distance).
Looking easterly across the pasture, towards Hanaula Gulch.
Looking southwesterly towards the end of the pasture.

For those of you in places colder than 51 degrees F, here are some nice warm flower photos to enjoy. This is what's blooming at the house right now.
Anthurium sp.
Blue ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora), which isn't a ginger at all.
Camellia sp. My grandmother would throw the ice from defrosting the freezer around this plant. It must be enjoying the cold weather we are having.
Dwarf Samoan Coconut (Cocos nucifera)
An orchid, I don't know what genus. I guess I'll have to learn about orchids.
Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera Truncata Group)
I have no idea what this is, but it's very fragrant. If you know what it might be, please leave a comment.

Happy Birthday to Terry, Andrea, Lonny, Roy, & Michael!

No comments:

Post a Comment