Friday, December 22, 2017

Holiday Eating Begins

Tonight was the Nawele Neighbors holiday potluck. I made whole wheat dinner rolls again. But this time they didn't rise as much as usual; or rather, they rose for a longer period than usual, which caused them to overrise which then made them lose some of their airiness. They were okay, but not my best rolls. I did cut each roll in half before the 2nd rise so there were 2 dozen rolls instead of just a dozen. I forgot to take photos of the rolls. And of the spread at Anita's house which included sushi platters, shrimp & asparagus stir fry, baked salmon, pineapple sweet potatoes, pancit bihon, veggie tray, charcuterie tray, cupcakes (strawberry & red velvet), Nikka apple wine cake, & Nikka apple brandy.

Like Lori, Anita likes to have games at her gatherings. Tonight she started with "12 Days of Christmas, Nawele Style". Each of us took a number and were given a corresponding brown paper bag, from which we pulled out an item and sang the verse written on the tag with the item (except for Shaun who was just handed his item):
On the 1st day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, a Twix bar in bolo head tree.
On the 2nd day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 2 cans of soup.
On the 3rd day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 3 pairs of socks.
On the 4th day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 4 Sharpie pens.
On the 5th day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 5 pounds of flour.
On the 6th day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 6 passion-orange juice cans.
On the 7th day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 7 pocket kleenex.
On the 8th day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 8 M & M packets.
On the 9th day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 9 real pine cones.
On the 10th day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 10 Hershey kisses.
On the 11th day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 11 shoyu packets.
On the 12th day of Christmas my neighbor gave to me, 12 green bananas.
L to R: Gavin (12 green bananas), Susan (6 passion-orange juice cans), Anita, Lori (10 Hershey kisses), Shaun (1 Twix in a bolo head tree), Brent (3 pairs of socks), & Jessie (5 pounds of flour).

I started the morning with a visit to the dentist; it was okay as far as dentist visits go. The cool thing was the decor; this is what you see in a multi-cultural community. A Santa in an aloha shirt standing under a Christmas tree while sharing space with a kagami mochi display.


Bick & Ron arrived today about 2:30; their plane was late leaving Seattle. It was great seeing them; we'll be getting together later in their visit. David & Sarah went to the North Shore today; they're staying overnight at an Airbnb rental that is on some sort of farm.

Happy Birthday to Noel & Rae! Happy 5th Anniversary to Brienne & Dawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment