Friday, February 16, 2018

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Today is Chinese New Year! Bright and early this morning Mr. Loi came over with a plate of jin dui for us; Mrs. Loi makes them every year. Guess what I had for breakfast? FYI Fitbit does not know what jin dui is; it gave me corn on the cob. I even spelled it the way Wikipedia does, jian dui; still gave me corn on the cob. I also used the English translation, sesame ball; it gave me sesame buns, you know, like the ones McDonald's uses.
Mrs. Loi's jin dui are about 3 inches in diameter.

Of course this will make my weight loss work a little harder. Every Friday before breakfast I weigh myself; I have lost 0.2 pounds since last Friday. From December 29th through January 23rd I lost 2.2 pounds. But after the week in Seattle and a week on the Big Island with lots of tasty food and much less physical activity, I gained back 2 of those pounds; basically I'm back to square one. And now with the jin dui ... oh well. If I was on a low carb diet I think I would need an asterisk that says *except for culturally significant carbs.

The weather was really good today, lots of sun! So I did another load of laundry and hung it outside to dry. While doing that I found out that Mom's orchid had another blossom! The cactus fruit were also doing well.
It looks like there are 5 more buds.
There are about 8 fruits forming. And it looks like there may be more flowers in a few months.

Shaun's car is here while he recuperates. When Curtis dropped it off he pulled it in forward. I parked it backwards so I could see over the hood when I back out since the back windows are heavily tinted.


Here's what the new plate looks like on the car. Now I need to get a license plate holder.


Kai's new boots arrived today from Danner! But they were one size too small. He will be returning them for a bigger size.

Happy Birthday to Liz!

No comments:

Post a Comment