Friday, April 6, 2018

Dad is Off the Norepinephrine

Some time Wednesday night they were able to decrease Dad's norpinephrine IV drip to 0 mcg/min and have his blood pressure remain in the normal range. Yay! But Dad's appetite was till spotty. He only had 4 little pieces of papaya and about 1/4 of his Boost Breeze for breakfast, 1/2 a banana for lunch, & nothing for dinner.
Taken a little later than when I first arrived, but typical for the day.

Since Dad's blood pressure was stabilized & he had no fever, he was moved out of the ICU last night. He was placed in a 1st floor room that looked out to the path adjacent to the building. When we arrived one of the feral cats was lounging outside his room. I think we are going to see a lot of this cat, he is one of the cats that we used to see almost daily when Mom was on this side of the building.


Speaking of lunch, Curtis and I went to the Sunrise Cafe for lunch. He had the Kalua Pork & Cabbage plate and I had the Smoked Wasabi Salmon Poke Bowl. Curtis said his was good; mine was excellent and it also cleared out my sinuses! In fact, on a couple bites I was even getting a tingling feeling on the back of my scalp.
Kalua Pork with Cabbage.
Smoked Wasabi Salmon Poke Bowl.

On the way to Dad's new room, I had to walk past the Zen garden. I guess I had never walked past it at the ground level before so I never saw the time capsule plaque that's in the garden.


This is the control panel on the bed in Dad's ground floor room in the regular ward. I was unable to get a good photo of the panel of the bed in the Intensive Care Unit. I think that ICU bed must have  cost more than my car!


Here's a photo of one of the elevator doors that I promised to post earlier. There are 6 or 7 different messages that I have seen on them.

I ended up having dinner at Kaiser also. They were all out of the salmon so I tried the Kalua Pork & Cabbage that Curtis had for lunch. I liked it.
Since I knew they were going to give me more than I could eat in 1 sitting, I got a to-go box.

Before I left the house on Wednesday I did all of Dad's used laundry from when he was at Maunalani, as well as the wet towels from Jacob defrosting the freezer the day before. While I was out there I noticed that some of the blossoms of the last orchid Mom got as a present had dropped off. I also saw that the last orchid she grew was forming a blossom! Not only that, 2 of the papayas were showing a little yellow; it will be 1 year next week since they have been put in the ground. I gave the papayas to Curtis for his mother-in-law who eats 1/2 a papaya for breakfast every morning.
On their way out.
But this one is getting ready to bloom!
Decided to pick them before the bulbuls found them.
Showed Mom that the papayas are finally producing!

Before I went to Kaiser, I went to H & R Block & dropped off all the documents for Mom & Dad's income taxes as well as mine. Usually I do that in early March, but this year March was crazy busy with all of Dad's ER visits, hospitalizations, and rehabilitation at the nursing home. Besides all the tax documents I also gave them a copy of Mom's death certificate and Dad's durable power of attorney paperwork since he won't be able to go in and sign the papers.

It was pouring when I got out of H & R Block, but it was too late to really do anything about the laundry, so I left it out and headed to Kaiser. Later in the day the sun came out and there was no rain at Kaiser, I hoped it was the same at home. By the time I got back it was late & dark, I was taking down the laundry by street light. I folded all Dad's laundry and packed it in the laundry basket; the last time they discharged Dad we had just a couple hours notice so I will be putting the laundry basket in the back of the car so I am ready this time!

Somewhere along the way I tweaked a muscle in my back. It is now stiff, even with getting up and walking every hour to get in my 250 steps for the Fitbit. In fact, yesterday I completed those steps for 13 out of the 14 hours possible! I missed the last hour; I think it was because I was too tired to respond when I got that last reminder from the Fitbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment